VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all, I'm sure this has been asked, but I was wondering how DVD recorders will be affected when analog receivers are replaced by digital in 2009? Will the recorder be obsolete, will it only record a fraction of content to a disc (2 hours on a analog = ???? hours on a digital), etc...?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are already DVD recorders with Digital Tuners. All I have seen are SD so no change to capacity..

On analog recorders, since the inputs will not change, the DVD recorder will behave exactly as it does now. You will need an analog input from a Digital Converter Box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I already do this. I run s-video from an SD settop box to the DVDR and images that are far better than I get from the built-in analogue tuner. The issue one of convenience, as I have to make sure the digital box is on the right channel when recording from the timer. I also get true 16:9 anamorphic recordings through the s-video.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A DVD recorder with analog tuner will no longer tune over the air channels after 17 Feb, 2009 but will continue to tune analog from cable or accept set top box output over S-Video or composite. Over the air tuning will require an external ATSC tuner.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, your cable comp. can decide to keep analog if they want to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    Yes, your cable comp. can decide to keep analog if they want to.
    Analog locals are mandated by US FCC to be there until 2012. Analog versions of cable supplied national channels are likely to decline in number.
    Quote Quote