VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a Coby MP3 player and the only videos I can use on it are .mtv.

Is there some tool out there that I can use to easily convert .mpeg or .avi files to .mtv files?
    Mark V

10.4.10 OS X 1.25GHz G4 768MB DDR SRAM Pioneer DVR-106D and external DVR-111D
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What does Coby's web site say are the contents of .mtv files? Are they MPEG-4? Or maybe MPEG-1?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It says (video) AMV on the box and MTV format in the instructions in the box.

The email I got from Coby said "The video file types your unit supports are MTV: 96X64, 15fps."
    Mark V

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here it is on Coby's website.

http://www.cobyusa.com/_en/prod_item.php?item=MPC684&pcat=portaudio&pscat=mp3&pscat2=

The thing that sucks is that all of the instructions that come with it are only for Windows computers.
    Mark V

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The mtv file format is described here:

http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=MTV

There is a forum for mpx players like yours here:

http://www.mympxplayer.org/tools-dc10.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The short answer is that there is no software on the mac to do this. At least, I've never been able to find one (and I've looked pretty hard). So, until someone ports one to the mac, your only option is to do all of the converting on a windows box.

If you're a software engineer, writing the app should be pretty easy, because that file format is very, very simple. It appears that merely writing the output of mplayer or vlc to a file, and then performing some simple downsampling on the result (or simply transcoding to the target resolution, and then intercepting the output) would get you about 90% of the way home.

Hopefully, someone will do this for the mac eventually. Unfortunately, I am legally prohibited from writing code, due to gross incompetence.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh well I really just wanted it for the FM Tuner and MP3 player, the video part was just a bonus.

Thank you all for the help.
    Mark V

Quote Quote  
  8. ffmpeg can read .mtv: audio & video (but I don't know if it's recent or not, I didn't check earlier versions)
    try a soft like isquint visualhub (its author make recent builds)

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont need to read MTV files, I need something to convert them to MTV files for my Coby MP3 player.
    Mark V

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    herve is telling you this in his own way.

If a transcoding app can read the file,
    then it can transcode it, Mark.

transcode = make it into some other format.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    96x64 is like, a postage stamp. is it worth it?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So how do I make a .mtv file?
    Mark V

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you seriously want to invest time learning how to make .mtv files, this forum > http://www.mympxplayer.org/tools-dc10.html might help. However because of the seriously low resolution and frame rate, I personally wouldnt dedicate any time to it.

Its like that time I tried to learn how to rip and copy DIVX DVD's (you know, the ones from Circuit City) to get playable regular DVD's.

No one in the software development community felt it was worth it to build a rip tool for them. NO ONE. So for all the DIVX discs I bought for $1 and $2, I literally have coasters (coasters with artwork!). I had to suck it up and move on.

Suck it up, and move on.

Remember when the Chinese came up with CVD/SVCD to compete with DVD? Where is your SVCD player now?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Herve is saying that ffmpeg (but not the current version of ffmpegx) can create mtv files (je vous remercie beaucoup, Herve!). It is a command-line tool, however, so if you are unfamiliar with such things on the Mac, you'll need to do a little background research first on things like how to enter command strings in the Terminal window. There are many online examples of using ffmpeg for transcoding from format X into format Y, so a little googling and head-scratching will get you there.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah looks like I am just going to use it as a MP3 player only.

Thanks all!
    Mark V

Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mark V,

I got a Coby MPC694 for my daughter a month ago, thought it was an inexpensive entry level media player ...it's okay for mp3 , jpgs, and fm radio stuff. According to the box (and the instructions) it's supposed to play video also. The box contained a 3" cd "Coby installation cd ... Video Conversion Software for models MPC654/684/694" You can run the conversion software from the cd. So I converted an avi file my daughter likes into the mtv file (conversion seemed to run fine), got a file with the .mtv extension ... but, when I tried to drag and drop it into the Coby player I got an error window "The .mtv format is not supported by this device. Windows Media Player may be able to convert the file prior to transfer..." NOT SUPPORTED??!!! Then why is the conversion software even included??!! And why does the cd specifically say for MPC694??!! The help files on the cd are of no help (there's a surprise)

So, I'm able to convert avi's to mtv but can't transfer them to the media player that's supposed to use only mtv files!!

Any thoughts?

hg guy
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am running a Mac so that disc is useless. I decided to only use it for MP3's and JPEG's.

Sorry I cant help.
    Mark V

Quote Quote