VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

How Can I Convert Real Player Video Files To Make Them DVD Player Compatable?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ConvertXtoDVD.

But "DVD to " is not RM to DVD. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi

Thanks for the reply

I have tried both WinAVI Video Converter and ConvertXtoDvd

They cannot decode the files.

Maybe you cannot convert Real Player files, this way you have to pay the $29.99 for their addons
    then once installed you can burn the files on to dvd or cd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have converted realplayer files on many occaisions with ConvertXtoDVD and its precursor DIVX to DVD. Perhaps the problem is your files or your capture technique.

Are you trying to convert .rm or .ram files?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you play the real video files without problem? Maybe a drm protection problem of some kind.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have seen some "RM" files that were set up so that they couldn't be downloaded and they are nothing more than 1 line of text that is a pointer to the actual file location on the web server. Such files won't convert as they aren't actually RM files. If you can look at the file size of your RM files and they are ridiculously small, then this is what you have.

If you don't actually have RM files but just the pointer files I described, you may need to use some sort of stream capturing software to actually capture the RM files and save them. You should be aware that Real Media quality is often horrible and if you are able to convert the files, they may not be very good - garbage in, garbage out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The .ram files are just pointers. They can be opened with notepad to get the url and then downloaded.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi

Thanks again

I'll put in to context.

1, I would like to capture this video on this site and then put on a disc

http://www.discoveryondemand.co.uk/broadband/broadband.jsp?template=play&site=uk&genre=1&series _id=436&episode_id=1076&url=mms://newmediastream.discoverynetworksinternational.com/_!/uk/africasoutsiders384K_Stream001.wmv?auth=dbEcTdcabc 5bUaQbYbkbuasaDaObLdzaNc_-bhe7i6-b4-vga-BqHvooykHCCojw%26aifp=v001&user_id=106372610

2, I'm trying to record from Windows Media engine, so would Replay AV stream recorder
    be best for what i'm doing?

http://www.applian.com/replay-av/index.php?AID=10410680&PID=1448936&SID=3rav

jman98 your right about the Real Media quality is being horrible
    Quote Quote