VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i noticed on my Video Capture settings that there is an option to choose between variable and constant bitrate when recording Video onto my P.C.
    I use the WinFast PVR 2.
    Which one of these will provide the better capture quality?
    Also can someone tell me the difference between VMR, VMR9 and Overlay Mixer and which one of these is the better renderer for my Video?
    Thanks for your help.
    Michael.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by VEBouto
    variable and constant bitrate... Which one of these will provide the better capture quality?
    Since you are talking about realtime encoding, it depends. If you plan to put less than an hour on a DVD CBR will probably be better. If you need to put much more than that VBR will give you better quality.

Originally Posted by VEBouto
    Also can someone tell me the difference between VMR, VMR9 and Overlay Mixer and which one of these is the better renderer for my Video?
    Those are only used to display the video on your monitor. I haven't see much difference on any of my computers. The VMR modes may allow the use of the graphics processors for filtering. Basically, use whatever works.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help jagabo.
    So then selecting the option to choose either vmr, vmr9 or the overlay mixer does not effect the actual video capture itself. Just what you are watching while the video is being captured.
    And yes the final DVD's that i burn are always between the 55 and 60 minutes total running time, so i will go for CBR.
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by VEBouto
    Thanks for your help jagabo.
    So then selecting the option to choose either vmr, vmr9 or the overlay mixer does not effect the actual video capture itself. Just what you are watching while the video is being captured.
    Yes.

Originally Posted by VEBouto
    And yes the final DVD's that i burn are always between the 55 and 60 minutes total running time, so i will go for CBR.
    Thanks again.
    Just be sure to use high enough a bitrate -- 8000+ kbps.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again,
    I will be capturing at between 8500Kbps and 9000Kbps, using AC3 Audio 48,000Hz.
    Quote Quote