VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 137
FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Since I have no reason to think the video from my DVD recorder is not DVD compliant, I will upload a sample if I can. It will take some time to get a sample ready for you. I do not have an account with a file hosting website. I want to use a free hosting website for this. It looks like most free hosting websites limit files to either 100 MB or 200 MB, and my DSL service's upload speed is slow. What is the minimum file size or run-time in minutes that you need for testing?
    The (free) filehosting landscape is rather a mess these days, with many limitations, as you noted. But I've done this recently (for about 2 minutes worth of video), using RS, Sendspace, or Mediafire.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Since I have no reason to think the video from my DVD recorder is not DVD compliant, I will upload a sample if I can. It will take some time to get a sample ready for you. I do not have an account with a file hosting website. I want to use a free hosting website for this. It looks like most free hosting websites limit files to either 100 MB or 200 MB, and my DSL service's upload speed is slow. What is the minimum file size or run-time in minutes that you need for testing?
    The (free) filehosting landscape is rather a mess these days, with many limitations, as you noted. But I've done this recently (for about 2 minutes worth of video), using RS, Sendspace, or Mediafire.
    Thanks, but I already set up an account with MediaFire last night. I hope I don't have to do this very often. As I said, my DSL service's upload speed is very slow. It took 20 minutes to upload 18.4 MB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have AVStoDVD 2.4.2. I burn several AVI files to a DL DVD, but the DVD won't play on my LG HR558D, My el-cheapo backup Sony DVD player, or my Pioneer BDP-51FD. They play ok on a PC with VLC and PowerDVD.

I use AVStoDVD, DVDFAB 8.1.x.x, Handbrake 0.96

The only codecs that are installed are DivX and whatever is installed by the above programs.

I use IMGBURN to do all my burns.

If have ffdshow installed, and set it to use ffd instead of Microsoft per the AVStoDVD documentation.

I have the same probolem with the occasional file that is a .MKV source.

Typically the problems occur when using multiple titles per DVD. Single titles play about 80% of the time.

When I do TV series' I generally use a custom background, but the problem often occurs even if I use the default black background

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, X64, SP1, and all latest patches with GTX 460 OC graphics card.

Can you please me understand what I am doing wrong. Thanks

I've attached the log files.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. @usually_quiet

thanks for sending me the mpeg2 file.

The reason why AVStoDVD does not accept it as DVD compliant is because its DAR (Display Aspect Ratio) is 1.304 instead of 1.333. Pixels Aspect Ratio is 0.889 instead of 0.909.

Probably AVStoDVD is too much demanding about DVD specs. But there is a workaround

Load your title, go to 'Title'/'Edit Source Title Info'/'Video Display Aspect Ratio' and change it from 1.304 to 1.333. Voilą, you will be able to keep the video without re-encoding.

Bye
    Last edited by _MrC_; 13th Apr 2012 at 15:14.
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  5. @Yanta

the Imgburn log file shows some write error warnings. Have you tried to burn the DVD at 4x instead of maximum speed?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    @usually_quiet

thanks for sending me the mpeg2 file.

The reason why AVStoDVD does not accept it as DVD compliant is because its DAR (Display Aspect Ratio) is 1.304 instead of 1.333. Pixels Aspect Ratio is 0.889 instead of 0.909.

Probably AVStoDVD is too much demanding about DVD specs. But there is a workaround

Load your title, go to 'Title'/'Edit Source Title Info'/'Video Display Aspect Ratio' and change it from 1.304 to 1.333. Voilą, you will be able to keep the video without re-encoding.

Bye
    Thanks for finding a solution to this problem.

There is one more piece to the workaround. It is important to answer "No" when AVStoDVD asks whether or not to index the file during importation. If the answer given is "Yes" then the file will be re-encoded even if the Video Display Aspect Ratio is changed to 1.333.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Thanks, but I already set up an account with MediaFire last night. I hope I don't have to do this very often. As I said, my DSL service's upload speed is very slow. It took 20 minutes to upload 18.4 MB.
    Nowadays, it may not matter how fast your connection is, because many of the remaining filehost services have so drastically throttled down the speeds offered from their free service. (Netload, for example, has become unusable.) I see quotes for estimated xfer times of 12 days, and I just have to laugh. For any of these, if their free service sucks, it becomes such a poor advertisement for them that there is no way I would pay to try their paid service.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Yanta

the Imgburn log file shows some write error warnings. Have you tried to burn the DVD at 4x instead of maximum speed?

Bye
    Yeah, actually I have tried different speeds. However, in frustration I reinstalled windows and all applications trying to get a burn that works, and the default write speed is max, hence why it is at max.

I should have editted the errors section out of the log file. It pertains to a different burn, not the one that actually burnt successfully. If you look under the errors you will see the write failed completely. Then you will see a second session which worked properly (13:56:51). Sorry for not removing the misleading information. I've attached the correct part of the imgburn log file.

So, my question still remains.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Yanta; 14th Apr 2012 at 20:44.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Using v. 2.4.2, with an avi loaded (XViD, 1489 kbps, 150802 frames) plus one srt file, even when I set the project to DVD5 - I always end up with output of the size 4450M, while the desired size for a 4,7G disc would be 4380 max. What are my possibilities, what other (except the DVD Size) configuration options within AVS2DVD should I try?
    Quote Quote  
  10. @Yanta

if the resulting DVD structure is playing fine on VLC or PowerDVD, I would address the issue to the burning section.

@Martinigue

how many MB are there in 4,700,000,000 byte?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mr. C., since you obviously missed my point, let me put it another way: how many free MB do you get from an empty 4,7G disc on your machine? (mine gives me 4380M) ...

@Yanta

if the resulting DVD structure is playing fine on VLC or PowerDVD, I would address the issue to the burning section.

@Martinigue

how many MB are there in 4,700,000,000 byte?

Bye
    Quote Quote  
  12. @Martinigue

well, not missed so far, since you have asked exactly the same question.... BTW, to make it short:

4,700,000,000 / 1024 / 1024 = 4480 MB

To have some tolerance, AVStoDVD uses 4450 MB as DVD-5 limit.

What 'machine' gives you 4380MB?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mine is Hitachi HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N; in each tool I can see the capacity of a blank disc to be 4 707 ... ( 4 380) MB ...

@Martinigue

well, not missed so far, since you have asked exactly the same question.... BTW, to make it short:

4,700,000,000 / 1024 / 1024 = 4480 MB

To have some tolerance, AVStoDVD uses 4450 MB as DVD-5 limit.

What 'machine' gives you 4380MB?

Bye
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you divide the 4480MB again by 1024, you get the 4.37 GB.
    Quote Quote  
  15. That's why I can't fit 4.5G in ...

Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    If you divide the 4480MB again by 1024, you get the 4.37 GB.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DO you mean AVStoDVD is creating an intermediate mpeg-2 that's too big for the authoring stage? (and had to run the rejig step?)
    I've seen this occasionally with the 1-pass HCenc encode. If that's the reason, try the 2-pass encode.

Post the AVStoDVD log if you have it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Finally someone with a proactive approach!

I believe that my problem might be in something completely different than a free disc size...

The scenario:
    1. Load an avi file (1,36GB, XviD, 1489 kbps, etc, if that info is important)
    2. Load a srt file (76,1 kB)
    3. Set DVD Size to DVD 5
    4. Set Output to BUrn DVD
    5. Press Start
    6. AVStoDVD reports the Project Settings
    7. HCenc 0.25 reports: ERROR - can't process AVS file, wait for ...

As such message gives no clues about a possible cause, the free disc size seemed to be the only option.

Log is attached, hopefully it will give you more clues ...

M.

Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    DO you mean AVStoDVD is creating an intermediate mpeg-2 that's too big for the authoring stage? (and had to run the rejig step?)
    I've seen this occasionally with the 1-pass HCenc encode. If that's the reason, try the 2-pass encode.

Post the AVStoDVD log if you have it.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  18. @Martinigue

the error you are getting is an encoding error, not a disc size overrun error: you haven't even reached the authoring stage....

Probably you have a codecs issue or AviSynth is not installed. Please have a look at AVStoDVD Help/FAQ/Video/Q3.1 or Help/FAQ/General/Q1.5

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very low Quantizer: When running AVStoDVD, I get the info: Very low Quantizer, bad Q estimation, please reconsider settings. I have no idea what settings to reconsider! I wish AVStoDVD could make a recommendation. The DVD usually looks OK. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's an info message out of HCenc you can almost certainly ignore it.
    Post the AVStoDVD log.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Here's the log:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks OK to me. Did the movie come out OK in the DVD ?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Problem seems to be solved. Thank you so much for pointing me in this direction!!!

For anyone whom this might help: what seems to have caused the problem was a tryout version of the ffdshow video decoder; once I installed the latest stable version, the whole process worked like a charm..

@Martinigue

the error you are getting is an encoding error, not a disc size overrun error: you haven't even reached the authoring stage....

Probably you have a codecs issue or AviSynth is not installed. Please have a look at AVStoDVD Help/FAQ/Video/Q3.1 or Help/FAQ/General/Q1.5

Bye
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding Low Quantizer - The DVD plays fine. I guess there's not much for me to do about it. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bilvihur View Post
    Very low Quantizer: When running AVStoDVD, I get the info: Very low Quantizer, bad Q estimation, please reconsider settings. I have no idea what settings to reconsider! I wish AVStoDVD could make a recommendation. The DVD usually looks OK. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    I've seen that same error often enough. (Still don't really know what it means; Wikipedia and other online sources did not enlighten me, either.) In most cases, I proceeded regardless, and the results were at least acceptable. So I have to consider that a pretty useless error message.
    Quote Quote  
  26. HCenc throws out Very low Quantizer, bad Q estimation, please reconsider settings when the quantizer factor is near 1.00. In that case the VBR compression pattern is almost null, very close to CBR but usually that warning message is associated with high bitrates, hence the output result is anyhow very good.

HCenc does not "like" low Q factors because it is designed to work at best with low bitrates (high Q), but it does a damned good job in this cases too, as you have already discovered by your own.

http://tangentsoft.net/video/mpeg/enc-modes.html

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HCenc throws out Very low Quantizer, bad Q estimation, please reconsider settings when the quantizer factor is near 1.00. In that case the VBR compression pattern is almost null, very close to CBR but usually that warning message is associated with high bitrates, hence the output result is anyhow very good.

HCenc does not "like" low Q factors because it is designed to work at best with low bitrates (high Q), but it does a damned good job in this cases too, as you have already discovered by your own.

http://tangentsoft.net/video/mpeg/enc-modes.html

Bye

Thanks for the link and that explanation. To the extent that it makes any difference, here are my long-in-use settings, which I think someone here may have recommended to me as an example:

Overall: Lower Avg. Bitrate = 2500. Higher Avg. Bitrate = 8500.

Encoder Settings:
    1) QuEnc CBR 1-Pass High = 8500, Low = 7000
    2) HcEnc VBR 1-Pass High = 7000, Low = 5000
    3) HcEnc VBR 2-Pass High = 5000, Low = 2500.

Your HC 2-Pass works on my rigs, whereas it always bombed out with CX2D. (Possibly something to do with running AMD processors ?)

I am not one of those people who tries to cram ridiculous amounts of video onto a disc. Typically, whether it's one movie or multiple shorter clips, the total running time would be in the 1:30 to 2 hour range for a SL disc; with longer material I might be inclined to go with a DL or split it over two SL discs. (If the source was 720 or 1080, I would expect these total run times to be noticeably less, as bitrates would be higher because I'm usually trying to maximize the PQ.)

These settings seem to have worked out well for me, but I'm always open to further instruction.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A Question about Getting the Desired Audio Track:

I tried a few times to convert some material that had an original English track that included a smattering of some French, plus another audio track in Russian that was overdubbed on top of the English track. Fortunately, these were two separate audio tracks, rather than one of those single tracks like the latter, where you can't get rid of the overdub and so just have to scrap the whole thing.

In the AVS project, I always saw a Track 0 and a Track 1, for each of the three episodes. It did not seem to matter whether I deselected the Track 0s or the Track 1s: the end result was always the audio track that I did not want. I could have chosen to include both, and let the DVD player choose the one I wanted, at a cost of some -- perhaps inconsequential -- lower bitrate. Each time I tried this, the job took about 2.5 hours to complete.

Rather than attempt additional runs, I tried this job in CX2D, which provides an easy audio track preview in advance of running the job, with a sure-handed means for deleting the undesired track(s). (Perhaps AVS already offers the same functionality, and I'm just not familiar with the right way to use it ? If not, that might be a good addition to the program development list.) Of course, the final output from CX2D came out at around 4G, instead of the 8G that it should have been, so I'm thinking the PQ must be inferior. The soundtrack came out right, though. Given a better clue on how to achieve this with AVS, I would re-run this project one more time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great work on AVStoDVD! I use it all the time!

I have a small request. When I convert MP4 video files with AAC sound, after QuEnc runs for a while, I get the following pop-up:

Warning! Errors found during Title 1 Audio Track 1 encoding.
    Do you want to start Backup Audio encoding routine (FFmpeg based)?

When I hit the Yes button, the audio finishes converting fine. Sometimes I set up multiple clips to convert overnight. When I wake up in the morning, AVStoDVD is still waiting for me to click the Yes button to continue. Is there any way that pop-up box could have a countdown timer so that after, say, 10 seconds it continues automatically?

Also, I was recently cheating on AVStoDVD with Freemake Video Encoder

I noticed that it has a pretty cool video acceleration feature where decoding is accelerated by DXVA and encoding is accelerated by CUDA. It did make a noticeable difference to the project time (compared to HCenc 1-Pass). I used Open Hardware Monitor to check and, sure enough, the GPU Video Engine and GPU Memory were cranking. In the end, I prefer the quality of AVStoDVD with HCenc 2-Pass. With Freemake, the image is sharper, but that causes the artifacts to be really pronounced.

Do you think we'll eventually see hardware acceleration in any of the freeware encoders?

Thanks again for all the hard work you've put into AVStoDVD!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KevinSartori View Post
    Great work on AVStoDVD! I use it all the time!

I have a small request. When I convert MP4 video files with AAC sound, after QuEnc runs for a while, I get the following pop-up:

Warning! Errors found during Title 1 Audio Track 1 encoding.
    Do you want to start Backup Audio encoding routine (FFmpeg based)?

When I hit the Yes button, the audio finishes converting fine. Sometimes I set up multiple clips to convert overnight. When I wake up in the morning, AVStoDVD is still waiting for me to click the Yes button to continue. Is there any way that pop-up box could have a countdown timer so that after, say, 10 seconds it continues automatically?
    I've run into that same situation myself, agree with your comments and request.

Originally Posted by KevinSartori View Post
    Thanks again for all the hard work you've put into AVStoDVD!
    I second that statement as well.
    Quote Quote