VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 137
FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Calidore's idea is fine with me. I like idea very much. Anything that reduces disk thrashing and speeds up
    overall project creation time is great.

Would this also take care of the very slow in-place dgpulldown? (do it from one drive to another?)
    Or would that cause too much confusion ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dylz View Post
    I like the settings the way they are since my c drive is my main and my d drive is hp recovery incase things get screwed. I cannot use the d drivefor regular files(read-only).
    Hi, dylz. We're not talking about having the software automatically decide which drives to use; rather, having the software simply treat the interim video & audio files as temp files so the user can assign them to another drive if he chooses.

Best,

Calidore
    Quote Quote  
  3. Cool if it helps others who use more than one drive than it's a good idea, I thought avstodvd uses the output directory to place the ac3 and mpeg files then authors them and deletes after if your drive is fast enough then you don't need this but if you think it will speed the process up then why not.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    Originally Posted by dylz View Post
    I like the settings the way they are since my c drive is my main and my d drive is hp recovery incase things get screwed. I cannot use the d drivefor regular files(read-only).
    Hi, dylz. We're not talking about having the software automatically decide which drives to use; rather, having the software simply treat the interim video & audio files as temp files so the user can assign them to another drive if he chooses.

Best,

Calidore
    Some programs wind up having pages and pages of settings, which some users seem to find daunting. (I don't think AVS is even close to becoming one of those.) But even where that happens, a lot of settings can be located as options under "Advanced Settings", and then users who are fine with the defaults don't need to bother about them.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks guys for the inputs. That's surely a feat to be added to the ToDo list. Probably it will not be included in upcoming 2.4.0 release, that is almost ready.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've just done a run with the latest AvsToDVD to convert .mkv to DVD9. The issue seems to be the source video has a frame rate of 24 fps. But when I process it, the output .m2v file has a framerate of 23.976 and pulldown is applied. The DVD output has audio out of sync even though the source .mkv plays in sync. Is there a way to instruct the program not to apply pulldown? I'm not sure how to get to a standard DVD from where I'm at.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi Miles, welcome back

I assume that DVD standard is NTSC.

You can avoid the pulldown step by editing the AviSynth script and replace line:

Code:
     #Using DGPulldown/HCenc to upsize FPS
    with line:

Code:
    Video = Video.ChangeFPS(29.97)
    ChangeFPS approach is a bit rough, because framerate is changed by frames duplication. You could notice some stuttering when playing the resulting DVD.

BTW pulldown usually is not an out-of-synch generator. Please post the project log file, maybe there are some hints.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    Hi Miles, welcome back

You can avoid the pulldown step by editing the AviSynth script and replace line:

Code:
    with line:

Code:
    ChangeFPS approach is a bit rough, because framerate is changed by frames duplication. You could notice some stuttering when playing the resulting DVD.

BTW pulldown usually is not an out-of-synch generator. Please post the project log file, maybe there are some hints.

Bye
    I don't think the problem is pulldown per se but that the video is first stepped down to 23.976 instead of being kept at 24 fps. Maybe I'll try QuEnc by itself and see what I can get.

I don't have the logs. I only kept the intermediate output files.
    If I find anything out I'll post again.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi MRc,

I've just upgraded to v. 2.3.4. I've been using the program for a while now and really like it, especially the idea that I can use one program for conversion, DVD creation, and burning. Very convenient. There is one thing that I don't understand and that has to do with encoding. I want to do 2-pass encoding but so far I have not been able to get the program to do that. I highlight HCenc VBR 2-Pass but invariably the program defaults to QuEnc. Is there anything I can do to get the program to choose HCenc and 2-pass encoding? I've also found that the program sometimes seems reluctant to change from PAL to NTSC. Whenever I open the program I go to video and check the NTSC box but after I click 'Start' and the settings are displayed, the video standard is still PAL and I end up having to abort the encoding. Why is that?

ganymede
    ganymede
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ganymede View Post
    Hi MRc,

I want to do 2-pass encoding but so far I have not been able to get the program to do that. I highlight HCenc VBR 2-Pass but invariably the program defaults to QuEnc. Is there anything I can do to get the program to choose HCenc and 2-pass encoding? I've also found that the program sometimes seems reluctant to change from PAL to NTSC. Whenever I open the program I go to video and check the NTSC box but after I click 'Start' and the settings are displayed, the video standard is still PAL and I end up having to abort the encoding. Why is that?

ganymede
    @ganymede,
    Are you sure that you unchecked this box:
    Settings --> VIDEO tab --> Video Edit --> Auto Video Setup ?

Until you do that, Encoder Options in that tab remain grayed out, which means that the Auto Select (default) remains in effect. Being a fledgling user of this program, I'm not really sure how the Auto Select makes its determination (presumably something to do with the bitrate of the source files), but I've noticed that it generally defaults to Qu-Enc. But sometimes I want to use HC -- regardless -- so I override this with the manual choice. Ditto for 2-pass HC, which I'm most likely to use on marginal PQ material where I think it needs all the help it can get and there is not much to lose. Worse come to worst, I can always have another go at it with Qu-Enc. So far, I've not found any reason to regret it when I've done this.

I haven't dealt with PAL vs. NTSC, but I would also suspect there is a setting somewhere that is easily overlooked.

_MrC_,

I was wondering about something. Say you've got a video where they screwed up on the original encoding, and the dialog sync is a bit off from the video. (Plus or Minus a second or two. Worst I've seen might be as much as 5 seconds, but usually less.) Without having to do major surgery on the video, is there any corrective for this in the course of taking it to DVD format with AVS -- perhaps with some adjustment in the Avisynth script tab ? (I noticed there is a "Delay Audio" checkbox in there.) If not, is this a feature you could add in the future: increment or decrease the timing for the Audio by X.__ seconds ? Something like that could come in handy. Fractional seconds option would also be great.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PAL > NTSC change (and vice-versa) the way AVStoDVD is designed will not affect an active project.

This is one setting that has to be set the way you want it before the project is started.
    Last edited by davexnet; 17th Mar 2011 at 15:03.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ganymede View Post
    There is one thing that I don't understand and that has to do with encoding. I want to do 2-pass encoding but so far I have not been able to get the program to do that. I highlight HCenc VBR 2-Pass but invariably the program defaults to QuEnc. Is there anything I can do to get the program to choose HCenc and 2-pass encoding?
    See Help/FAQ/Video/Q3.5

I've also found that the program sometimes seems reluctant to change from PAL to NTSC. Whenever I open the program I go to video and check the NTSC box but after I click 'Start' and the settings are displayed, the video standard is still PAL and I end up having to abort the encoding.
    See Help/FAQ/GUI/Q2.4 and remember to 'Save as default' your preferences.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    I was wondering about something. Say you've got a video where they screwed up on the original encoding, and the dialog sync is a bit off from the video. (Plus or Minus a second or two. Worst I've seen might be as much as 5 seconds, but usually less.) Without having to do major surgery on the video, is there any corrective for this in the course of taking it to DVD format with AVS -- perhaps with some adjustment in the Avisynth script tab ? (I noticed there is a "Delay Audio" checkbox in there.) If not, is this a feature you could add in the future: increment or decrease the timing for the Audio by X.__ seconds ? Something like that could come in handy. Fractional seconds option would also be great.
    'Delay Audio' in 'Edit Title'/'AviSynth' is designed exactly for what you are looking for. Just try it.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    Hi Miles, welcome back

Code:
    with line:

Code:

Bye
    Hmmmm, I'm not sure what happened. I used QuEnc manually with an .avs script
    LoadPlugin("VSFilter.dll")
    DirectShowSource("movie.mkv",fps=24,audio=false)
    BilinearResize(720,480)
    TextSub("movie.srt")

Ran QuEnc 8500 kbit CBR DC precision 10

When the .m2v came out I checked it with MediaInfo and it showed the frame rate
    as 23.976 but I ran it through DGPulldown manually using 24=>29.97 using the other defaults.
    I simply authored using DVDAuthorGui with the original audio track from the .mkv file.
    It plays fine, hard subs look great.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi MrC, Seeker47,

Thanks for replying to my post. Still can't get the program to do 2-pass encoding. Seeker47, I looked for the check box you mentioned but could not find it. In my version (2.3.4) there is no video tab in settings. The video tab under preferences doesn't have the box you mentioned. I did do the settings before adding a video file and that resolved the other issue. However, tonight for some reason, the program doesn't want to accept ISO UDF file as the output. I did find that I can change that after the project settings are displayed. I'm assuming that change will, in fact, happen.

Just what I am doing wrong as far as the encoding is concerned? I highlight HCenc VBR 2-pass, check the box to save current preferences as default and then click 'OK'. I then load the video file (which in this case is .flv) and click 'Start'. But the program still defaults to QUenc and single-pass. I suppose I could go back to VideoRedo but I like AVStoDVD since it has very good video output and the one program does conversion, DVD creation, and burning. I prefer not to have to use two different programs.
    ganymede
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ganymede, the setting is not in preferences, it's in edit title/video tab. If you change it there it applies to the
    title/project in progress.

There is a setting in preferences, but that setting is to set the bitrate cut off points of the 3 choices.
    For example: below 5000 use 2-pass, 5000-7000 use hcenc 1-pass, above 7000 use quenc.
    Set it the way you want and save the prefences as MrC said and it will apply to all future projects.

The encoder used can be overridden anytime for the project at hand in edit title, as I mentioned earlier.
    If there is more than one title, you can set it for each of them.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by davexnet; 17th Mar 2011 at 21:34. Reason: edited for clarity
    Quote Quote  
  17. @ganymede, to set all bitrates to hcenc vbr 2pass go Preferences/Video/ and select hcenc 2paass vbr then click the padlock underneath to lock the selected encoder for all bitrates.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Davexnet,

Thanks for the explanation. I finally understood what Seeker was talking about. I followed your suggestion and was able to get the program to run HCenc and 2-pass encoding. The quality of the output video was definitely better than the output file I made the other night with QUenc. Thanks again for your help. This file is finally good enough to burn to DVD.
    ganymede
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    BilinearResize(720,480)
    TextSub("movie.srt")

as 23.976 but I ran it through DGPulldown manually using 24=>29.97 using the other defaults.
    I simply authored using DVDAuthorGui with the original audio track from the .mkv file.
    Probably MediaInfo is getting a wrong fps reading from the m2v header. Have you tried with GSpot?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In my version (2.3.4) there is no video tab in settings. The video tab under preferences doesn't have the box you mentioned.
    Yes, I'm still using 2.3.3, haven't gotten around to changing versions yet. Sorry if that description wasn't as clear as I had thought, but I see davexnet clarified it further. (It did not seem likely to me that this setting would have been moved or removed.) It also took me a while to get the hang of the individual project vs. global settings thing, but it wasn't what I'd call a major learning curve.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    BilinearResize(720,480)
    TextSub("movie.srt")

Probably MediaInfo is getting a wrong fps reading from the m2v header. Have you tried with GSpot?

Bye
    I notice now and then tools put a statement in .avs script something like
    AssumeFPS=24.000 with some other gibberish after. I wonder if it's for these type cases?
    Pulldown from 24 to 29.976 seems to have done it. Strange. Anyway everything came out. I have to learn more
    about AviSynth(keep saying that but it's time consuming to experiment.)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Adding one file:
    ------------------

sample.mkv or another Movie

my Audio Settings:
    ---------------------
    deactivated: Track 0 (0x2) - EN AC3 640 kbps - CBR - 6ch - 48000Hz - 16bit - 42 seconds
    activated: Track 1 (0x3) -DE AC3 - 640 kbps - CPR - 6ch - 48000Hz - 16bit - 42 seconds

after that i hit Start, but no encoding process is running.
    The Encoder Starts, but no encodig. The Encoder hang.
    HCenc not working

now i change the Settings from the same file:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    chosse Track 0, hcenc now encodeing the File
    choose demux Track 1, hcenc now encodeing the File

WHY ?

After that, next problem
    ---------------------------
    wavi-Aften : Warning! Error found during Audio Track 1 encoding
    Do you want to start Backup Audio encoding routine (FFMPEG based)?

no using FFMPEG-Aften, same error

error in Audio convertig
    ---

AVStoDVD 2.3.4
    Last edited by fatality77; 28th Mar 2011 at 14:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    _MrC_,

I have a minor UI request. On the "front page" for a project, we cannot directly edit the Path for Output Folder . . . say, to change F:\whatever to G:\whatever. Instead, we have to use the Browse button and navigate to the desired folder. Same thing for Paths Preferences in AVS. I find it a lot simpler to just delete & replace the drive letter. Any chance of allowing that option ?
    Quote Quote  
  24. @fatality77

please elaborate better, because, frankly speaking, I have not understood. Posting log file would be very helpful.

@Seeker47

ok, no problem

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    @fatality77

please elaborate better, because, frankly speaking, I have not understood. Posting log file would be very helpful.

@Seeker47

ok, no problem

Bye

Hope you understand now

Greets
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by fatality77 View Post

WHY ?
    AVStoDVD try to decode your secondary audio track (Input Track 1) using FFAudioSource() filter. That filter probably fails with your mkv. Don't know why, I should have the mkv in my hands.

Originally Posted by fatality77 View Post
    After that, next problem

error in Audio convertig
    Was the backup routine (FFmpeg only) successful?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post

WHY ?
    AVStoDVD try to decode your secondary audio track (Input Track 1) using FFAudioSource() filter. That filter probably fails with your mkv. Don't know why, I should have the mkv in my hands.

After that, next problem

error in Audio convertig
    Was the backup routine (FFmpeg only) successful?

Bye
    Hello

Ok i test it

Yes the backup routine FFMPEG was successful

Bye
    Quote Quote  
  28. AVStoDVD release 2.4.0 beta 110401 is available to download

Change log:

- Some bugs fixed
    - Added multi subtitles tracks encoding and authoring capability
    - Added support to VobSub subtitles (idx/sub)
    - Added support to SubStation Alpha subtitles (ssa/ass)
    - Added order tracking during Audio/Subs tracks selection
    - Added possibility to open background image from DVD Menu Editor to default image viewer/editor
    - Added possibility to use custom images for DVD Menu Thumbnails (Static Menu only)
    - Added graphical support to 32bit icons using VB resource library (DLL ActiveX)
    - Moved all .ico files to single .dll file for Skins
    - Changed 'Default' Skin (thanks to 8ternity for new suite). Old 'Default' is now called 'Classic'.
    - Changed 'Default' Splash Screen (thanks to 8ternity). Old 'Default' is now called 'Classic'.
    - Changed default authored subtitles format from 'Tahoma 18pt Bold' to 'Tahoma 18pt'
    - Added 'Menu Templates Path' option in 'Preferences'/'Paths'
    - Removed 'Local AppData Path' option in 'Preferences'/'Paths' (discontinued)
    - Improved 'Fix SRT' routine for authored subtitles
    - Added MKVtoolinx 4.5.0 to AVStoDVD Installer package
    - FFmpeg updated to r28671
    - MediaInfo updated to 0.7.42

As usual, please provide feebacks and comments about this beta release.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  29. FFMPEG in new Beta not working

wavi+aften now used, one error, backup Routine with FFMPEG works.

??? hmm
    Last edited by fatality77; 2nd Apr 2011 at 03:22.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by fatality77 View Post
    FFMPEG in new Beta not working
    FFmpeg is used by AVStoDVD for many tasks. Please clarify when it does not work. To eventually fix, simply overwrite ffmpeg.exe file with previous release one.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote