VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 137
FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 129 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Chiplexic View Post
    *Why do so many recommend doing the disk burning process on ImgBurn when I see that AVStoDVD has a "Burn DVD" option on the OutPut tabs drop menu ?
    AVStoDVD simply launches ImgBurn, if ImgBurn is found on the system, to accomplish the DVD burning step.

Originally Posted by Chiplexic View Post
    *Does AVStoDVD manage the process of downloading from my camera to my hard drive or do I need an additional program to do that?
    You need an additional program.

*Should I be unclicking the "Keep MPEG2 compliant video" box in the Preferences , Video tab?
    Otherwise you have issues with that option, you should leave it toggled on.

I have created menus and put together a 4.7 gb DVD worth of video. But when I burn it both my home dvd player and my computer dvd player say this type of format not recognized. There are so many control choices for my knowledge level I'm sure I have made selections that are wrong. Not only that, I downloaded the vid footage using another software....aaahhh!
    Have you used AVStoDVD to product the unplayable DVD video? If yes, can you post here the project log file?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK Thanks. Is there a way to retrieve the log for that dvd burn I mentioned, even if i have shut down the program since completion? The Operations list does not show it and I don't see a way to open Operations list of past projects.

Also when trying to play the dvd through Windows Media Player on my desk top WMP said "selected file has an extension of aer. and could not recognize it." Does this lend any insite as to what I did wrong??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Chiplexic View Post
    OK Thanks. Is there a way to retrieve the log for that dvd burn I mentioned, even if i have shut down the program since completion? The Operations list does not show it and I don't see a way to open Operations list of past projects.
    The AVStoDVD project log file can be found in the output folder selected in main AVStoDVD window, together with the DVD video structure (VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS folders).

Also when trying to play the dvd through Windows Media Player on my desk top WMP said "selected file has an extension of aer. and could not recognize it." Does this lend any insite as to what I did wrong??
    .aer is not a known DVD video file extension. Surely it has not been generated by AVStoDVD...

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    [
    The AVStoDVD project log file can be found in the output folder selected in main AVStoDVD window, together with the DVD video structure (VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS folders).
    I guess there must be some major limitations on what this log file can show, for a failure in one of the constituent program modules. It has very often failed to shed any light on failed projects here. Either -- as in a couple of recent cases -- there was a log file of 0 bytes left behind, or an error message says to check the log file, but the log file sayeth NOT anything revealing or explanatory.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM

.aer is not a known DVD video file extension. Surely it has not been generated by AVStoDVD...

Bye
    ok, then I'll just discount the aer. message since it's obviously a non factor. I'll try to get it to play it again and recheck the message to make sure I'm quoting it correctly.

I checked Output and DVD video structure was already selected. All that appears in the operations window is a list of what I've done since reopening the program.
    I'll try reburning the project again and save the log before closing.

Do you recommend a free program for downloading MiniDV tape video onto my harddrive? I've just been using the software that came with the Panasonic vid camera which are Quick Movie Magic 1.0E and MotionDV Studio 5.5E LE for DV . Problem with those is there is no control over bit rate of burn so I get lots of pixelation (?) , blurr on action scenes. IThey save the downloads as "Type: Video Clip", in AVI format.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    I guess there must be some major limitations on what this log file can show, for a failure in one of the constituent program modules. It has very often failed to shed any light on failed projects here. Either -- as in a couple of recent cases -- there was a log file of 0 bytes left behind, or an error message says to check the log file, but the log file sayeth NOT anything revealing or explanatory.
    Sometimes it does not help, many times it helps. Anyway it is a good starting point for troubleshooting.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Chiplexic View Post
    I checked Output and DVD video structure was already selected. All that appears in the operations window is a list of what I've done since reopening the program.
    I'll try reburning the project again and save the log before closing.

Do you recommend a free program for downloading MiniDV tape video onto my harddrive? I've just been using the software that came with the Panasonic vid camera which are Quick Movie Magic 1.0E and MotionDV Studio 5.5E LE for DV . Problem with those is there is no control over bit rate of burn so I get lots of pixelation (?) , blurr on action scenes. IThey save the downloads as "Type: Video Clip", in AVI format.
    Be careful: the project log file is located in output folder and it does not have to be confused with the Operation Log section. The project log file contains many more info on input sources, output DVD assets and encoding options.

For DV download I have often used Windows Movie Maker with acceptable results.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi _MrC_,

I just had a project where I rendered a longer movie with AVS, and because I wanted to maximize the quality I wound up with a result that was 10.5Gb. in size. (I can think of a couple other examples where this could easily have exceeded 12 Gb.) My original intention was to divide it after the fact into 3 SL discs for burning, or -- if absolutely necessary -- two DL discs. However, the more familiar tools that I use for this purpose, such as DVD Fab or DVD Shrink in Re-Author mode with No Compression, just balked at loading a job of this size. (Perhaps I need some better tools . . . ?) Anyway, here's my question for you: were there some other options in AVS that I overlooked, for rendering the source directly into multiple discs ? (I'm not really ready to start messing around with AVCHD or Blue-Ray authoring.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi Seeker47,

there is no direct way to divide a single input source in multiple DVD discs with AVStoDVD. But you can use this workaround:

1. Define the source file frame (frame X) where you want to split.
    2. Load the source file into AVStoDVD
    3. Go to 'Edit Title'/'AviSynth', toggle off 'Auto AviSynth Script'
    4. Select 'Trim', insert 0 as starting frame and X as ending frame
    5. Run 1st project
    6. Click on 'New Project' then load again the source file
    7. Go to 'Edit Title'/'AviSynth', toggle off 'Auto AviSynth Script'
    8. Select 'Trim', insert X+1 as starting frame and end frame as ending frame
    9. Run 2nd project

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Seeker47,

there is no direct way to divide a single input source in multiple DVD discs with AVStoDVD. But you can use this workaround:
    <snip>
    Thanks, _MrC_, I'll give this a try. But, is this a basic feature (render out to two or more discs) one that you could add ? How difficult would it be for you to do so ? Fab already has a provision to Split Output out to two discs, though as I mentioned this has some major limitations.

In the example I cited, this is further complicated by the need for subtitles: they have to join appropriately for the split projects, and that may not be compatible with your workaround. (They did join fine with the single 10.5 Gb DVD output.)

Also:
    1. Define the source file frame (frame X) where you want to split.
    2. Load the source file into AVStoDVD
    I don't quite see where or how to do this, using AVS. The only place (at the moment) where I am familiar with discovering what the particular frame point is and making divisions on that basis is when using the STOP | START Frames function in Reauthor Mode of DVD-Shrink. (Which makes this graphical and rather easy.)

I probably still need to figure out how to make these divisions with an editor, as an alternative. The only editor I have right now is an older version of Womble Video Wizard DVD, which only works on MPEG format. I need something more versatile to round out that section of the toolkit.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 8th Jun 2012 at 15:18. Reason: more detail
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Thanks, _MrC_, I'll give this a try. But, is this a basic feature (render out to two or more discs) one you could add ? How difficult would it be for you to do so ? Fab already has a provision to Split Output out to two discs, though as I mentioned this has some major limitations.
    Not too difficult. I will put it in the ToDo list, with low priority because there is a workaround

Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    I probably still need to figure out how to make these divisions with an editor, as an alternative. The only editor I have right now is an older version of Womble Video Wizard DVD, which only works on MPEG format. I need something more versatile to round out that section of the toolkit.
    Give Avidemux a try.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	errors_found.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	12734

First I want to say thank you for creating this wonderful free gift! I am grateful for your generosity and I hope your good karma returns to you a thousand fold. The video quality is excellent! I am having an issue with the audio, however. I am getting an error “Warning! Errors found during Title 1 Audio Track 1 encoding. Do you want to start Backup Audio encoding routine (FFmpeg based)?" I have tried 8 different MP4 files and they all result in the same error. I am grateful the new version no longer stops and waits for me to answer the question and automatically proceeds. Before I would go to sleep for 8 hours and awake with the program waiting to be answered. I have tried QuEnc CBR 1 pass, HCenc VBR 2-pass, Audio AC3 Wavi+Aften, FFmeg+Aften. I’m not sure what to try next. I suspect when it has audio problems it takes longer because it has to do the work twice? Thank you for any advice! Here is my log file:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ _MrC_, did you notice that I had amended my post #850, after you posted that workaround ? I suspect the workaround no longer applies . . . .

@Adamtrons, re post #852, I have run into that very same error a number of times, and I'm not sure what's up with that. (Not limited to MP4 files, btw.) In a majority of cases, the alternate audio processing did proceed to completion, but not always.
    Quote Quote  
  14. @Adamtrons

thanks for the kind words. Probably the issue is to be found in the splitting/decoding the AAC audio track containded in your mp4. Have you installed Haali Media Splitter and a good directshow codecs suite, like ffdshow?

@Seeker47

got now the post update. Yep the subtitles cannot be splitted with the workaround, if you are keeping them authored and not hard-encoded.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First of all: MrC, thank you for a great program. I had created an MKV from one of my original DVDs, which is now lost (thanks to my youngest son), so I needed to re-create the DVD from the MKV. I tried several options but AVStoDVD was, by far, the best.

Now, a question. If I add the MKV to AVStoDVD and add the subtitle tracks contained in the MKV (both VobSub), these are extracted, each to a pair of idx/sub files. However, when processing these files, I get the following error:

Code:
    START SUBS ENCODING OPERATIONS (Track 1)
    VSConv Parameters: -f sup -i "Y:\DVD\Movie_EN.idx" -o "C:\work\DVD_1_Movie_1" -id 0
    PROCESS ABORTED DURING TITLE 1 SUBS (TRACK 1) ENCODING OPERATIONS.
    CHECK LOG FILE <Y:\DVD\DVD_1.LOG> FOR MORE INFO.
    That text is taken from the log file, there is no more information. The only way I could make subtitles work was to first convert them to SRT using VobSub and the tedious OCR process; these SRT files were processed by AVStoDVD without any hitch.

If there is any recommendation, I would be happy to hear it. Hopefully this if of help to you. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  16. As for my own experience, first I use mkvmergegui to reassure that only the video, audio, and chapters files are packed in an edited mkv file, the one that will be used with AVSTODVD edition. At this point I have 2 matroska files: the original (containing whatever subtitles, audio, etc), and the edited. Hence, only video+audio+chapters will be contained in the edited mkv file.

Next, either I choose to use the embedded subtitles by extracting them from the original matroska with mkvextract, or I'll search the adequate ones at opensubtitles.org. For me it's imperative to separate the Video file (video+audio+chapters) from the subtitles files. To reassure there will be no errors and to synchronize their framerate if needed.

At this point I have these separate files. (I'll use them separately while editing with AVSTODVD).

edited mkv (video+audio+chapters)
    subtitle files.

It's time to check both the code and the extension of the subtitles files. If not, I'll change them to .srt and ANSI code, simply by using subtitle edit.

Next step, I'll correct any input/output directories that have special caracters or spaces or long paths and names, just using simple caracters and "_", short names and a short directory path. The same goes to the names of the mkv and srt files.

Also, I assume HCenc VBR 1 as default at AVSTODVD menu: preferences > video > setup video profiles > HCenc VBR 1

This process has been keeping flawless and perfect editions to the present.

* there's also the question of PAL, NTSC formats for both subtitles and movie file. But that's another story

Cheers
    Last edited by Ze Tomes; 20th Jun 2012 at 20:02.
    true cyber-democracy lies in forums
    some sketches at flickr, tacting ideas at my blog
    Quote Quote  
  17. @gonzus

you can use SubtitleCreator to manually (check and) convert the original idx/sub to sup (Tools -> Manipulate Sup or Vobsub), without OCR process, and then feed AVStoDVD with the sup.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MrC / Ze Tomes, thanks for your pointers. I installed SubtitleCreator and it converted the VobSub files (extracted with mkvextract) to SUP without a hitch; I am now running a trial DVD creation with AVStoDVD, to check everything works.

I guess my questions are:

1. Why doesn't AVStoDVD perform this conversion (VobSub to SUP) automatically?
    2. If AVStoDVD will not be able to work directly with VobSub subtitles, why does it allow me to select them when loading the MKV file?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  19. @gonzus

AVStoDVD does use SubtitleCreator to try to convert idx/sub to sup, with command line approach. Apparently (I would say 5-10% frequency) some idx/subs are not properly handled by command line and need the conversion tool in SubtitleCreator GUI. The question should be addressed to SubtitleCreator's author (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=112539).

If there are any other way to make the idx/sub to sup conversion step more reliable, I am open to suggestions.

Bye
    Last edited by _MrC_; 21st Jun 2012 at 15:11.
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  20. AVStoDVD release 2.5.0 Alpha 120621 is available to download

Change log from 2.4.2:

- Some bugs fixed
    - Added Quick StartUp Tutorial to setup main AVStoDVD preferences
    - Added possibility to customize GUI language. Support to create translation ini files is welcome!
    - Added support to HCenc *ZONE command (to increase or lower bitrate for parts of the video)
    - Added 160 kbps as supported bitrate for MP2 and AC3 audio encoding
    - Added 160 kbps to DVD compliant audio bitrates list for MP2 and AC3
    - Added 'Set encoding Priority' in 'Preferences'/'Misc'
    - Added Preferences Paths integrity check at startup
    - Added question messages (Yes/No) with automatic default reply at runtime
    - Removed 'Display errors messages at runtime' option in 'Preferences'/'Misc'
    - Replaced 'Keep DVD Compliant Video/Audio' with 'Video/Audio Direct Stream Copy' in 'Edit Title'
    - FFmpeg updated to N-35509
    - MediaInfo updated to 0.7.57

This release is for debug purpose.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi MrC

Thank you for all your time & effort in creating a very useful program.

Unfortunately unless I'm doing something wrong the new release has a problem...

I’d been having problems with some new MKV files, no program would convert them into a DVD - they either froze, or the picture was reduced to a blank green or in AVStoDVD’s case gray screen.

So I updated all the relevant software I could & AVStoDVD 2.5.0 can now do a conversion but the picture quality is not very good, there are weird pixelated patches & wild flashing colours.

I had a look at the log file & could not see any errors, though I do not know much about this sort of thing.
    (I could supply that if it helps though it looks rather large & I don't know which bit is relevant).

The only other program with an update, Any Video Converter 3.3.9 does the conversion without this problem (& is also GNU licensed), so hopefully you can fix this fairly easily?

Thank you once again for all your good work, have a nice day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ooops! just saw the upload file option - here's the log file if it helps...

DVD_1.log
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lain (SEL) View Post
    I’d been having problems with some new MKV files, no program would convert them into a DVD - they either froze, or the picture was reduced to a blank green or in AVStoDVD’s case gray screen.
    Please excuse the over-obvious question, but you did previously check out these source files with a player or two (VLC, MPC-HC, or whatever you use), to inspect their quality ? Most of the MKVs I run into are in pretty good shape, but you never know . . . .
    Quote Quote  
  24. Suggested preliminary check from Seeker47 is surely necessary.

I suspect a directshow codecs issue. See Help/FAQ/Q3.1 and Q3.2

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi MrC & Seeker47

Thank you both for your time, it is much appreciated.

Media Player Classic had no problems playing any of the MKV files, the picture is perfect.
    I had to update VLC before it too can now play them without any problems.
    Any Video Converter automatically failed when I first tried to convert one of the files but then I installed the latest version, Any Video Converter 3.3.9 & it has no difficulties in doing the conversion, the picture quality is perfect too.
    Unfortunately I cannot find any log files from Any Video Converter to send to you.

I have updated everything, except Media Player Classic & K-Lite Codec Pack as they were able to do the job (ie Haali Media Splitter, Combined Community Codec Pack) & had already installed the latest FFDshow – 1.2.4453.0 (21/05/2012) but reinstalled it to check the settings.
    The “raw video” & (audio) “uncompressed” settings were disabled, so following the FAQ info I set them to “all supported,” but this had no effect on the final converted picture quality.
    Note: in the FFDshow default settings there are a lot of other things which look important that were disabled too (but as I do not know what I’m doing I did not change anything else).

I then tried selecting “DirectShowSource” instead of “A2DSource” but got an AviSynth Error: “…open failure: Evaluation: System exception – Access Violation” – see log DVD 1.
    Then I tried the “FFMpegSource” option but the picture was much worse – see log DVD 2.

I do not know what is so different from these MKV files to all the other ones I’ve had so I’m also including information on one of these via “MediaInfo” – see last attachment.

I hope this information is helpful, anymore ideas?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  26. The DirectShowSource approach may be compromised by the multiple codecs packs you have installed.

BTW the FFMpegSource does not rely on installed codecs and the fact that the output is still bad is quite worrisome.

I would suggest you the last try, only if you wish, because you have already found another sw capable to convert the mkv: unistall and reinstall every codecs packs and AviSynth, then reinstall AviSynth and only ffdshow.

Is it possible to download that mkv? Of course only if it is legal material...

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Coincidentally, I think I've had less trouble overall with MKV sources than with any other. (That is, for strictly the video.) The one exception might be the way they can pack in multiple audio tracks and subtitles, within the MKV container. I haven't really made the effort yet to get acquainted with the array of MKV tools for manipulating them, since it hasn't been that important to me.

From what I recall, the codec packs don't have a very good reputation here: plenty of things that can go wrong when you have them installed. (That's one reason I favor those players that are self-contained, and do not require a bunch of external codecs.)

I don't know if there is an AVS FAQ on exactly which items need to be installed where (hopefully, the installer takes care of this, and I think it generally does), and how you go about confirming this after the fact. If not, there should be one written.

Are all of the FAQs in the program's Help system . . . or at the AVS website ?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    I don't know if there is an AVS FAQ on exactly which items need to be installed where (hopefully, the installer takes care of this, and I think it generally does), and how you go about confirming this after the fact. If not, there should be one written.

Are all of the FAQs in the program's Help system . . . or at the AVS website ?
    There are some hints about codecs in Help/FAQ/General and Help/FAQ/Video. You can access to AVStoDVD Help section by pressing F1 or clicking on the toolbar Help icon.

I would not force anyone to install a particular codecs suite. There are many. I usually suggest what works for me 99% of the times:

- splitters: haali media splitter / flvsplitter
    - codecs suite: ffdshow stable release
    - utils: preferred filter tweaker (on W7 systems)

nothing else. I want to stress that it works for me. Other directshow codecs confugurations may be better.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The best method if codec problems are suspected is to uninstall all the codec packs and related items
    and run filmerit to get an evaluation of any errors/problems in the directshow database.
    This tool can also fix (remove) the invalid entries.

After that install FFDShow and Haali splitter and try again. Then re-introduce any specialty codecs you
    need in your system. (If applicable).
    http://paul.glagla.free.fr/filmerit_en.htm
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've only used AVStoDVD once before and succesfully burned a DVD without any problems. I opened it again tonight to try and burn another, but got this message: "Warning! ImgBurn NOT found!" and it goes on to say that ISO building and burning are disabled. After seeing the FAQ entry for this, I noticed my copy of ImgBurn was not in the listed path, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it here: "'C:\Program Files\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe'" but it still didn't work. The FAQ also said to check to see if the Windows Registry key "'HKCU\SOFTWARE\ImgBurn\InstallDirectory" exists. I not nearly computer literate enough to know how to do that or what it means even, lol. Can anyone lend a hand?
    Quote Quote