VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi all,

thanks for reading this and for any replies i get.

i have just bought a divx dvd player (toshiba sd-270e) so that i can stick 5 or 6 avi movies onto a blank dvd and free up space on my hard drive. some of the avi files say they are ac3 encoded, which as far as i understand, means that with the correct equipment, they should play back in 5.1 surround. the dvd player is hooked up to a yamaha rx-v357 home cinema receiver with a digital coax lead. when i watch original dvd's, they are played back in 5.1 surround, but when i watch the ac3 avi movies they only play back in boring old 2 channel left and right stereo.
    i have also tried burning a single ac3 avi movie onto a dvd as a dvd movie. i used winAVIvideoconverter to create the required dvd files, and then nero to burn the files onto dvd to play back in the dvd player. this method only gives me 2 channel stereo as well.
    where am i going wrong? any answers/solutions i get would be grately received!

cheers,

funkyspaceman
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First, don't expect much success using WinAVI COnverter, it is a poor quality piece of software.

Second, are you sure that the audio in the Divx files is 5.1 channel ? Open one in g-spot and confirm.

Finally, not all Divx players will play multi-channel AC3 audio from Divx files. I know of some that will not play ac3 audio at all when it is a Divx container, and others that will only output 2 channel audio from Divx files.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi

according to gspot, the audio codec says '0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3' and the info below it reads '48000Hz 192 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0)'
    if the divx dvd player won't play the ac3 audio channels from a movie file, is there any way to burn it to disc as a dvd movie and play back with ac3 channels? what software would you use if you say winAVIvideoconverter is pants?

cheers,

funkyspaceman
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by funkyspaceman
    stereo (2/0)
    There you go - 2 channels (stereo) AC3. Not all (far from) AC3 audio is 5.1.
    You can never recreate the full 5.1 audio once it's been downmixed to 2, but I think I saw someone (here at VideoHelp) who's created a 2 -> 5.1 upmix script, that I suppose will give you some kind of faux 5.1 sound.
    Yes; here it is: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic326127.html

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, sorry about replying late - just finished my shifts at work

so if a 2 channel avi says '0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3' and the info below it reads '48000Hz 192 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0)', what would it say for a 5.1 avi movie file?

cheers for your help

funkyspaceman
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Something along the lines of '48000Hz 448 kb/s tot , 6 chnl(5/1)'

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey, i just had an idea... i searched google for 'avi 5.1 test' and found a short avi file, which is ac3 5.1 encoded, and when i copied it as an avi file onto dvd and played it back - woohoo! surround sound! am i allowed to put the link here for other people? if so, here it is...

http://www.tfm.ro/ac3/

i have also found a torrent which looks like it's gonna do the same kinda thing, although i haven't tried that yet as it's still downloading as it's a much bigger file. here's the link for anybody that needs it...

http://www.torrentportal.com/details/915747/Ac3+Dolby+Digital+5.1Ch+Sound+Test.avi.torrent.html

hope this helps others that have the same question that i did

funkyspaceman
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    I thought all ac3 was 5.1 surround. I have just dled two files that say ac3. In Mediainfo it says 2 channels. I am going to buy me a laptop with dual monitors, hdmi, and stop all this troubleshooting to watch free movies.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by mlmiller707 View Post
    I thought all ac3 was 5.1 surround.
    No.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by mlmiller707 View Post
    I thought all ac3 was 5.1 surround.
    No.
    Thanks that's almost as helpful as the ja who posted the jpg of a purple ghost.
    Quote Quote  
  11. So you're looking for a 5.1 AC3 sample?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote