VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have two VHS tapes that i need to convert to a DVD. I have an insignia DVD/VCR combo player. Is there some way to convert the VHS to the DVD on this insignia. I also have a dazzle cable, but i dont know how to use that. ANy helps would be greatly appriciated. I really need to get these tapes converted for a lecture i have coming up.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your insignia is probably a DVD player, not a recorder. If it is a recorder, should be easy ... just read the manual!

Assuming it's not, and assuming you don't have a clue where to start, probably the quickest way to convert your tapes is to go somewhere that offers that service and pay the bucks to get it done. Many camera stores (like Ritz) provide this service.

I don't know what dazzle you have, I'll assume it's composite video (to your TV) and USB on the other end.

In theory, you can capture from your TV to your PC and then use a DVD authoring program like DVDAuthor GUI to burn the video to DVD. It's rarely that simple for someone starting from zero but it works. However, as I said, if you are in a hurry, just pay the man.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you have no time and no experience, the above is good advice. One other alternative is to buy a VCR/DVD recorder combo not a player combo. Here is one on eBay right now of the same brand. Combo recorders are much easier to understand than a computer capture device. With a combo recorder put in the tape, rewind to the start position, put in a dvd ( of the right kind ), and hit copy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Insignia-Progressive-Scan-DVD-RW-Recorder-HiFi-VCR_W0QQitemZ140165...QQcmdZViewItem

[edit] Unless you are trying to copy copyright protected tapes. Recorders will not work because by law they will respond to the copyright protection and not do it. Computer capture devices are not subject to these same laws and generally will.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    <<<<<<<<<<<<< Read the "HOW TO" capture section,then go to the "Lists"capture card section<<<<<<,then buy one and install in your PC,install the SW,hookup the VCR to your PC's capture card and capture source..once you have file on HDD it's easy to convert to DVD..see HOW to convert <<<<<<.....All info needed is here<<<<<<.....good luck!....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just did this today. Can you believe my Canopus ADVC-100 is still going strong after 2 1/2 yrs of use. Captured "Thicker Than Water", imported the AVI into Studio 10.8 and burned a 2:28 hr movie to DVD with my old Sony DRU-500 AX that looks every bit as good as the VHS. Unbelievable.
    Geronimo
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I just curious, but does the dazzle usb capture device record from VHS tapes that are encoded with macrovision?

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. PLeasd stop dig up old posts. Please stop crosspost. Contact us if you want me to remove the ban.
    / Moderator Baldrick
    Quote Quote