VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I'm pretty new to making back-up dvds but I did manage to succeed using the guide from http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/50/26/

I did have a problem though while trying to find a key or something of that matter, so I changed it to brute force the key. Eventually it did work and went through, I went over the file in DVD Shrink 3.2 and everything seemed to be fine. I used Dvd Shrink to burn the file with nero, and it all worked out (or so I thought?)

Now I put the backup DVD into my 20 dollar cheapie dvd player and it worked fine. But then I tried to play it on my main tv, which has a high dollar sony dvd player and the thing kept saying that the disk was scratched and giving a disk 13 error and wouldn't play at all.

I tried it on another dvd player and it didn't work either, yet it worked on my 20 dollar magnavox dvd player fine. My question is what am I doing wrong that it won't work on all the dvd players?

I burned it at Max speed first, which was like 11x and then I switched it to 4x since it didn't work, same problem.
    The burner is a SONY DVD RW AW-G540A and the dvds I used were Sony DVD-r 4.7 gig accuCORE.

Should I burn it slower? I think I'm doing something wrong in the burning process, maybe someone more knowledgeable can help.

If anymore info is needed let me know.

Thanks in advance. -Mark
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1) Burn using ImgBurn or DVDDecrypter.
    2) Brand players (Sony in particular it seems) are more picky than "generic" players about what they want to play and not.
    3) Check the media code of your DVD-Rs. Brand doesn't say much. Try another manufacturer. (Take a look at www.nomorecoasters.com for guidance)

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It could be your media. Generally speaking we recommend that people use either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden (you'll have to mail order Taiyo Yuden) for best results. Media by those 2 companies tends to be excellent quality.

Sony players in the past have been notoriously fussy about media brands. I have no experience with any current model Sony players, but this was an issue in the past.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not all DVD players are equal and the same goes for DVD media. Use good media on a good player and no problems. This is not like reliable VHS tape
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Brute Force" sounds like you used DVDDecrypter first?
    If you did...that program is old and not reliable for ripping newer releases.
    If DVDShrink accepted the ripped DVD from DVDDecrypter...you should be OK this time though....especially since Sony players are notorious CRAP when it comes to playing anything "recordable".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the input guys, I found out the problem. I was burning it from Shrink DVD with the nero option, and something about that wasn't burning correctly (not sure why), what I did this time was to instead copy it to the hard drive from shrink dvd, it created the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders. From there I did a manual burn using nero and it worked fine on my sony dvd player. Perfect quality and sound, Yay!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by koreninja
    Thanks for the input guys, I found out the problem. I was burning it from Shrink DVD with the nero option, and something about that wasn't burning correctly (not sure why), what I did this time was to instead copy it to the hard drive from shrink dvd, it created the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders. From there I did a manual burn using nero and it worked fine on my sony dvd player. Perfect quality and sound, Yay!
    Instead of having DVD SHRINK create VIDEO_TS folder you have the option of creating a ISO image. That way you can use IMGBURN to burn that ISO image to dvd media. IMGBURN in my honest opinion is better to use to burn dvd media than NERO. In fact you can use IMGBURN with VIDEO_TS folders as well.
    Quote Quote