VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have two burners, a Memorex, which is a rebadged Lite-On, and a Pioneer (DVD-RW DVR-111D), which from what I can tell is actually made by Pioneer. I am using Verbatim DL discs, and ImageBurn to burn the discs.

I had burned some DVD+R DL discs with the Lite-On. Initially, one of my Panasonic players wouldn't read them, but I was able to change the book type of the Lite-On burner in ImageBurn, and then I had good success. Now the Lite-On burner has crapped out, and I am trying to burn with the Pioneer. I cannot get a burn that can be read by anything I own; either of two Panasonic DVD players or a Panasonic DVD recorder, and the discs won't even play back on the computer. They are clearly corrupted. I am simply copying the disc to the computer using ImageBurn and then trying to write to a DL disc also using ImageBurn. There are no problems copying the disc to the hard drive, and if I use DVDDecrypter to copy the discs to the hard drive in file mode, there is no problem making a copy with DVDShrink without any other copy protection removal.

I have tried changing the burner's properties in ImageBurn, but I don't see any way to change the properties as the Pioneer brand is not one of the choices. I have tried every one that is there thinking that they may work with Pioneer, but they all say "failed." I have gone to CDFreaks and found a new firmware for the burner, but that has not made any difference.

Any thoughts about what I can do?

TIA

SMK
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim DVD+R DL are relatively expensive - close to $2/disk. New drives are relatively cheap (about $30). Any further testing will probably burn more coasters.

Save your money and time. Buy a new drive that supports bitsetting/book-typing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I remember correctly, the DVR-111D automatically bitsets dual layer +R media. I own one and have never burned a coaster with DL media, burning at 2.4X (haven't tried burning faster). I figured at these prices, I may as well take my time. I use Verbatim discs as well (made in Singapore). I also tried a very cheap brand I picked up at Microcenter the other day which burned just fine. Windata DL +R w/ media ID - RICOHJPND01 These I'll use for stuff I don't care too much about. The thing is, all four of my standalone players and two recorders have no problem reading either of these discs. One of the players is a 6-7yr old Panasonic DVD-RV30 Reads them just fine and has no trouble with the layer switch.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PIONEER drives automatically bitsets to dvdrom for DL media. there's no need to try to changing it in IMGBURN since it never supported PIONEER drives.

your problem is your PANASONIC dvd player that probably doesn't support DL media to begin with. i suggest you buy a new standalone dvd player. older PANASONC dvd players didn't have the capability to play DL media.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think it's more likely the Pioneer burner is bad since the burned disc won't even play on the computer (I'm assuming that RoyGBiv-inRI is trying to play back the disc on the drive that burned the disc). Of course it could be that part of the problem is that the Panasonic DVD players don't like to play burned DL media as well, but the fact that the computer won't even play these disc' seems to point at the problem being else where. I would recommend buying another burner from someplace that has a good return policy and see if your results are any better.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate all the feedback. I think I may just need to burn the discs at a slower speed. The discs say they can be burned at 6x, and that's what I've been using for the Pioneer speed setting.

Yes, I was trying to play the burned DL disc in the computer, and it was corrupted. That suggests that it was a bad burn and maybe due to burn speed.

BTW, the Panasonic DVD player(s) will play DL discs as I have been able to play the ones burned with the Lite-On with no problems.

I will try one more time and see what happens. I am planning on getting another burner, but this is the type of thing that's perfect for my wife to give me for Xmas, so I'm waiting until then.

Any suggestions for one I should buy?

SMK
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I only use Verbatim DVD+R DL discs and I won't burn at anything above 2.4X speed. I only use ImgBurn. I still have had a few bad burns. There are no 100% guarantees with DL media - usually they work, but not 100% of the time. Do note that some DVD players have problems with all DL media, so you can't rely on playback on a standalone DVD player to validate your burns.

The best and most reliable DVD burner I've owned would be a NEC, but I'm not sure I'd say that they are necessarily any better than other companies' drives on the market.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally had a chance to burn another DL disc this weekend with the Pioneer burner. Using 2.4x speed I got a perfect burn. I wish I could burn DL faster, but I guess I'll just stick with this for now. I don't use DL that often.

Thanks to all who responded.

SMK
    Quote Quote  
  9. Pioneer and bad +R DL burns is why I pulled it and installed a Lite-On. The Pioneer 109 burned discs wouldn't play properly. The ones that didn't coaster didn't play. I burned as slow as I could go with it.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    Pioneer and bad +R DL burns is why I pulled it and installed a Lite-On. The Pioneer 109 burned discs wouldn't play properly. The ones that didn't coaster didn't play. I burned as slow as I could go with it.
    That sounds kind of odd. (I will assume you are using Verbatim, the only known-good DL media.) I've been using a Pioneer 108 for about 3 years in this box, burning up a storm and it seems to still be working fine. As best I can recall, the only DL coasters I've had were with non-Verbs. (No, wait -- there were a few early ones with Shrink calling Nero for the burn, but then I learned this was not the way to go for burning DL. None since the switch to using IMGBURN 2.)

Assuming you did not have a bad burner, could the 108 be that much better than the 109 ? Maybe so: I've noted quite a bit of variance in the review consensus on Pioneer burners, from model to model.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  11. All I know is that Lite-On Burned the rest of the spindle I had set aside from disgust at all the coasters I was getting. The few that did burn nd verify wouldn't play in a Sony changer and would play in a Pioneer DVD recorder, 531h which as I understand it uses a version of the Pioneer 109 drive too. Burns from the Lite-On made on Memorex (they were cheap) Verbatim, and Sony (they were cheap too) all play in the Sony Changer, Philips 5960, and Philips 5982 with no problems. For the Sony DVD video only, some from MCE2005 captures authored with TDA 3 and for the Philips all those disks as well as Divx/Xvid DVDs +R DLs play fine too.

I never messed with -R DLs of course.

I even upgraded the firmware every timethey released a new one and tried again. No Help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I love how people automatically forget about the DVD Player as possibly being at fault in some way. Hell I've got ONE DISC that refuses to play in a player that plays every other disc from the same +R DL Verbatim spindle.
    Am I racking my brain over it....No....shit happens.
    When I first started burning DL discs....the same player mentioned above REFUSED to play bitset DL discs (from a different manufacturer)...now this same player ONLY accepts bitset +R DL Verbatims.

And all this from a player that is SO freaking old that when it was made there were very few recordable DVD's to be bought because they were so expensive and new.

Get over it. Feel blessed that your single layer DVDR's work so well and let it go.
    Quote Quote