VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all!

I've just taken the plunge and bought a JVC HR-S6970 Super VHS Multi System VCR.

What I was planning on doing was simply plugging it in, turning it on, connecting my Sony VRD-VC20 external dvd burner & start burning these PAL VHS's that I've collected.

So, at the beginning, I figured I wouldn't even need a PAL to NTSC converter to see what was going on, as I'd watch the movie after it had burned.

Then, it occurred to me. What if the menu comes up once it's plugged in and I start burning frisbees because there's some menu up that's being burned, & I don't know how to set all of it up because I can't see the screen!

Now, I am curious. Is there some cheap crappo converter where I can at least use just to program the VCR before I start burning? I know there are some really nice ones out there, but I don't need one of those. I just want to be able to get the signal (crappy or not) from the multi system vcr to the hdtv.

What do you fellas suggest?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I am sure your vcr still has a regular coaxil cable hookup. Use that and plug it into your tv. Or use a dual output. have the svhs connection go to your burner and have the regular rca jack go into your tv, etc. This way you can see what you are doing
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1) It appears that the JVC you bought isn't a "converting" VCR...so you will most likely be recording in PAL format to the Sony device.
    2) How about going from VCR to Sony to computer to somehow preview what is being recorded?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off, thank you for the replies.

I just realized. NTSC tape playback on NTSC TV (via AV) will work. I was (for some stupid reason) thinking that the NTSC tv wouldn't recognize the signal whatsoever.

So, that's great. I can program the VCR before recording in PAL. (I just ordered it yesterday, so I haven't tried it yet. It won't get here until Wednesday).

But I am curious, still. Is there a cheap converter to be able to convert the PAL signal to NTSC for the TV? I just dropped a grand on this VCR and don't want to spend $250 more (right now) for a digital converter.

Thanks again, guys. You've been an eye-opener!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kenneth M
    I just dropped a grand on this VCR and don't want to spend $250 more (right now) for a digital converter.
    You paid $1000 for a VCR that doesn't even do a true conversion between formats?

DAMN man....I paid $500 for my Aiwa converting Hi-Fi VCR....it would convert anything to
    anything. Sure it wasn't S-VHS but it NEVER output a quasi/fake signal.
    I would strongly consider not opening that when you get it and take a long hard look
    and the features on that VCR....especially if your main reason for buying it was to actually
    convert PAL VHS to NTSC DVD....because as it sits right now after $1000 you still can't do it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Originally Posted by Kenneth M
    I just dropped a grand on this VCR and don't want to spend $250 more (right now) for a digital converter.
    You paid $1000 for a VCR that doesn't even do a true conversion between formats?

DAMN man....I paid $500 for my Aiwa converting Hi-Fi VCR....it would convert anything to
    anything. Sure it wasn't S-VHS but it NEVER output a quasi/fake signal.
    I would strongly consider not opening that when you get it and take a long hard look
    and the features on that VCR....especially if your main reason for buying it was to actually
    convert PAL VHS to NTSC DVD....because as it sits right now after $1000 you still can't do it.
    Yeah, I know. But it was new, and I really don't want to inherit someone else's problems. There aren't very many new-in-box multi-systems out there, so I just bit the bullet on this one.

I don't want to convert from PAL to NTSC. I'm happy with the DVD-R's staying in PAL format. Most of the English language PAL VHS's have a foreign language DVD's that are also in PAL. So, I plan on later syncing an English dub from a PAL VHS to a PAL DVD's picture. But that really comes later. So, it's not really about getting the DVD's from PAL to NTSC, it's about being able to watch PAL movies directly from the VCR to the TV.

Is my only option, if I wanted to go from the VCR (playing a PAL VHS) to the NTSC tv, a digital converter?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    $1000 is still a LOT of money for that particular VCR.
    I hate places like this but:
    http://www.world-import.com/hr-s6970ah.htm
    On special for $369.99
    That is all I'm going to say about it(the price) from now on.

Yes...you will need a converter of some kind to watch PAL on an NTSC TV.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those are unavailable. I called them yesterday. I did a web search and called every place that advertised them (about 10) and only one had one in stock...

Can just a regular analog converter work, then? Could you suggest one and point me in the right direction for the best price on one?

Thank you again for all of your help. I really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I bought a converter once but it never worked...so I'm not the "converter guy" ....
    Actually if I remember correctly....that convert not working is what made me bite the bullet and buy the Aiwa monster VCR.
    That ImportWorld page/link has links to converters on it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    k...Thank you very much!

Take care.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't know about the converter but the Samsung model can play back PAL and SECAM tapes on NTSC TVs and I guess it could record PAL if the DVD recorder is mulitstandard (or hackable). The only downside is that the VCR does not have S-Video (which seems like a remarkable oversight). I don't think Samsung makes it anymore but you can probably find a new one at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SV-5000W-Worldwide-VHS-Format/dp/B00004TEUK/ref=sr_1_1/1...1748302&sr=1-1). You need a wet cleaner to clean the video heads (the manual says it never needs cleaning but the heads rack up static when playing old PAL tapes but if you can't get a wet cleaner then you can have the heads professionally cleaned - I do it myself with cue tips, isoprophyl alcohol, and strips of paper).[/url]
    Quote Quote