VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello:

I recently purchased a refurb dv9000 with Vista Home Premium, 2GB RAM, Core2Duo T7200, 120 GB HD, GeForce go7600 with 512 mg video.

I burned several DVD's using DVD Flick to convert and ImgBurn to Burn with no problems whatsoever. However, I am now getting total lock ups and blue screens 90% of the time when I try to convert a file with DVD Flick or Nero Burning ROM or Windows DVD maker. It even locks up in Safe Mode. Some files are worse about locking up than others.

A couple of the blue screens referred to a memory problem, so I ran Memory Diagnostics Tool twice. It did find problems in the memory, but did not specify what the problems were, and stated that I needed to contact the manufacturer of the PC. I ran HP's online memory test and it found no problems.

When I got on the chat line twice with HP techs, they ran me around all of the beginner resolutions and workarounds and I haven't gotten anywhere in either of my chat sessions.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it must be a memory stick, but it only happens during attempts to convert files to dvd for burning. If it makes it all the way to the burn, the DVD burner finishes it just fine.

I'm about ready to try a reformat with WinXP reinstall instead of Vista - but I've got a LOT of music and other files that I just transferred to this new comp and I'd rather not do that.

I have problem descriptions from several of the blue screens if they would be of use.

Thanks

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have 2 sticks of RAM installed, pull out 1 and try encoding. If it works, you've found your culprit. If it still BSODs, try with the other stick of RAM.

It could also be the CPU overheating - few things are more CPU intensive than encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One of the more comprehensive tests for memory is the freeware Memtest 86. http://www.memtest86.com/ Let it run for awhile. Or sometimes easier, pull one stick of your memory, assuming two, and try again. Then do the same with the second stick.

Also check to see if your PC has been overclocked. Not likely, but that will give the same results of a BSOD if the settings are wrong.

Also, for simple info about your memory, CPU-Z works well. http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

And if you have the exact text from the BSODs, that may help. Or at least the pertinent detail from the screens.

And welcome to our forums.

And this is more a computer problem. Moving this thread to our Computer Forum.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the CPU is overheating, what can I do about it on a laptop? And btw, how do I check the temp of the CPU?

I just downloaded memtest and will be experimenting with it shortly.

Thanks for the VERY QUICK responses.

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On three or four occasions, everything has just locked up and stopped - even the mouse - with no blue screen.

As to the blue screens, I don't remember the messages in detail because they're not on the screen very long. I do remember that one of them referred to memory, and one was "PFN-list-corrupt".

Here are the various "Additional information about the problem". . .

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 1a
    BCP1: 00000030
    BCP2: 87182E00
    BCP3: 966B7000
    BCP4: 9FDFAE58
    OS Version: 6_0_6000
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini100507-01.dmp
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER-32931-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER9D19.tmp.version.txt

Problem signature

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
    Mini100507-02.dmp
    sysdata.xml
    Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 4e
    BCP1: 00000099
    BCP2: 0006F7E3
    BCP3: 00000002
    BCP4: 00070FE4
    Server information: 76b5fa82-6f76-4a9e-88bd-7d969dfbd4bd

Problem signature:

BCCode: c4
    BCP1: 000000E3
    BCP2: AD026601
    BCP3: 0012F5D8
    BCP4: 00000000

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini100507-03.dmp
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER-36613-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Windows\Temp\WERC13B.tmp.version.txt

Problem signature:

BCCode: c4
    BCP1: 000000E3
    BCP2: 80794680
    BCP3: 0012FB14

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini100507-04.dmp
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER-36067-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Windows\Temp\WERC023.tmp.version.txt

Problem signature:

BCCode: d5
    BCP1: A78FEE01
    BCP2: 00000000
    BCP3: A7D75F22

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini100507-05.dmp
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER-35131-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Windows\Temp\WERC071.tmp.version.txt
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One other thing. . . Are certain files more likely to give the BSOD? I had LOTS of problems with one particular .avi, but I'm just finishing a conversion and burn of another .avi on the first try with no problems. . .
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There are a few programs like Motherboard Monitor that may be able to read your CPU and other temps. Or you can go into BIOS and read them there. With a laptop, there's not a lot to do for lowering temps. You can blow out dust, but they would have cleaned it in a refurb. And overtemp usually causes a shutdown of the computer, not a BSOD.

I would explore memory problems as the most likely cause. Less likely is a software problem, but that doesn't sound like the problem from your descriptions.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As a part time IT weenie I would get myself an external hard drive, make an image of your laptop disk, and then send it back under warranty.

If this were a desktop, I'd say temps for sure. But laptops run hot anyway and I rarely see a laptop suffering from temp issues.

Given that you have Vista, I'm suspecting driver conflicts. Do you have the original disks to do a clean "factory" install? If you had your stuff backed up onto external drive, it might be worth a shot.

BIOS settings can also cause problems.

Maybe a visit to castlecops.com might be in order. You can post your minidumps and they'll be picked over pretty well.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote