1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone post that link?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Two suggestions:

1) Search the Best Buy website yourself.

2) If you aren't one of those ADD afflicted people who will die, yes DIE, if you can't have it today, you could always mail order a dual layer burner.
    http://www.newegg.com
    is a pretty good site to buy from and you might even save money over Best Buy.

Cheap does not always equal good, so if you can find out what the brand is of this cheap burner BEFORE you buy it, you might want to do some research on it and see what people who have it think about it. There are plenty of reviews of burners here. Or if you are one of those ADD people like I said who must everything now if not sooner, then just buy it and pray that it works OK and if it doesn't, you can come back and complain about it like everyone else who is unwilling to do any research to see if something is good before they buy it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thing is..it was an instore deal someone happened upon. I wanted to call my local B.B. to see if they still had some before I drove there. Reducing my carbon footprint and all that, zippy. My error is that I forgot to state in title Dual Layer Blanks.

Your error is you are annoying.

'nuff said
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The best course of action is to stick with Verbatim. Anything else is just a waste of money. Every brand that I've tested besides Verbatim tends to generate some coasters. Often the only way to tell is by performing a discs scan after burning. (FWIW I've been testing using an NEC 3520 and a Pioneer 112D, both with the latest fw). I've had no problems/coasters using Verbatim.

The sale you are likely referring to is for Memorex, I remember seeing the post, but ignored it.

The best price for Verbatim is usually at Office Max. The last ones that I bought were $14.99 per 10 pack, but I think the price is now $19.99.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    THAT was it:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic337821.html

The brand name helped tons!!! Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good luck.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sigh. Somehow I thought you were talking about a burner, not media. Sorry about that, but the comments still stand.

Memorex is without a doubt the worst DVD media I've ever bought. If you use any dual layer media other than Verbatim DVD+R DL, you will very likely have problems. Please don't come back here crying to us when your Memorex discs don't work or become coasters because we warn everybody to only use Verbatim for DL burning and you ignore that advice at your own peril.

What usually happens is that any "savings" you think you get are lost in bad burns you have to throw away. As Krispy Kritter says "Good luck" because you will certainly need it if you buy Memorex.
    Quote Quote  
  8. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    It seems that some people are blindly buying Verbatim DVD+R DL discs from India, which are producing about 10-15% coasters in my experience. The good reputation of that brand was built on good discs made in Singapore, which rarely produced a coaster. Both come with the same product number, so you can't tell that way. Also many suppliers who formerly provided the Singapore kind are now only stocking the India kind, so take care. If you are ordering online, ask before you buy. If you are buying in person, look at the label which surrounds the spindle. It tells where they're manufactured near the UPC code.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I just talked to Verbatim Corporation about their DVD+R DL discs.

The representative said their discs made in India and Singapore use exactly the same equipment, and he has received no reports of any differences in reliability. Either that is intentional corporate blindness, or maybe it would do some good for users to contact Verbatim Corp with their experiences. If you, like me, are getting 10-15% coasters with the made in India discs, call them up and report it. Their 800 number is on the inside of the spindle label.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob
    The representative said their discs made in India and Singapore use exactly the same equipment, and he has received no reports of any differences in reliability. Either that is intentional corporate blindness, or maybe it would do some good for users to contact Verbatim Corp with their experiences. If you, like me, are getting 10-15% coasters with the made in India discs, call them up and report it. Their 800 number is on the inside of the spindle label.
    It's the truth, actually. The equipment and materials are the same. Mitsubishi and Hitachi/Maxell are fairly anal about the quality of media bearing their media IDs.

If there is any problem with the India lines, they might not have seen it yet. Personally, I've not had to use an India discs yet, or even seen them in stores. Even the MKM Singapore discs were never 100% perfect, I've gotten a few coasters from time to time. No media is perfect.

A lot of this may also depend on the burner's firmware, etc. If you're able to burn identical Singapore discs (8x, same ID, etc), then get an India problem, understood, valid complaint. But most of the complaints I've seen are not matching apples to apples, so there is a huge variable to deal with. The MKM001 media was not the same as MKM0002 on the same burner, for example. More info required, unfortunately.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote