VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I just registered with the site to see if anyone can give me some advice

Im looking for a new DVD player and DivX is a must for me. Ive been looking at the Philips DVP 5160 and 5960 and they both look great, but customer reviews say they dont play any files bigger than 720 pixels x whatever pixels.

Can anyone recommend a player than will play DivX files of a higher resolution than this?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Very few players support that, https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=&Search=Search&dvdportable=&dvdchanger=&dv...Submit2=Search , I guess it's only those with the Sigma EM8620L chipset so far. Another option would be to get a htpc or media center with hd support.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, i was having real trouble searching for information about it, sounds like its not very easy to do, maybe i'll just put up with my player not being able to play all the files that I have
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There are almost zero DVD players that support HD Divx. http://www.divx.com has a list of a few and they are all expensive. Even the streaming media players that support HD Divx start at over $300 US, which I guess is about 150 pounds or so, assuming our worthless American dollar hasn't plummeted even more against the pound. Reports on streaming media players are not good, with all of them having various limitations. If I had to get something that could play back HD Divx, I'd probably get either one of the Helios players (very expensive) or maybe one of those Kiss Technology players. I think Kiss has one or two models that support HD Divx.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the info guys, its great

If you were going to get a cheapish DVD player with DivX would the Philips DVP 5160 or 5960 be high on your list? They look good for the reviews and are about £40 - £45

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Considering that the Philips 5982 is newer than the 5960 and is the same basic feature set in Black why buy the older model?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ russeverett,

As one of the first players to offer a USB input, the 5960 attracted a lot of attention (that's why I bought one). It also
    attracted a lot of hobbyist firmware modifications to address its deficiencies. Such mods include the addition of GOTO->Time and resume-play of AVIs, long filenames on CD/DVD, packed bitstream with >1 consecutive b-frame support, and different fonts, colors & codepages for subtitles.

I have not seen this level of firmware support develop yet for the 5982. Maybe it will come in time if the 5982 continues to sell well.

That's about the only reason I can see why a person might prefer a 5960 over a 5982. Of course that doesn't matter if they're not into upgrading firmware.

My 5960 has seen moderately heavy use for about 16 or 17 months now with no problems, and I expect the reliability would be about the same for the 5160 or 5982. I haven't really seen any complaints about either model breaking down prematurely.

I haven't seen the 5160 here in the States. Looking at the product info PDFs from Philips, the main differences seem to be that the 5160 has no HDMI output or video upscaling, whereas the 5960 does. May or may not be important to you. Your TV will probably do any upscale OK by itself. The 5982 upscales to 1080p, the 5960 to 1080i.

I've been satisfied with my 5960, but any of those Philips models should be fine for a decent, inexpensive Divx-capable player. Choose whichever has the features you want.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I cant find the 5982 over here in UK and the 5960 looks pretty nice and its cheap, ill probably go with that

Thanks for the info! Its nice to have advice from an expert
    Quote Quote