VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Videohelp,

I have a Panasonic SDR-H18 hard disk camcorder.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/panasonic-sdr-h18/4505-6500_7-32343416.html...tag=prod.txt.1

Is it possible to go right from the camera (via the firewire on camera/USB on other end of cable) into an external DVD burner and burn a DVD? (Without using a pc?)

I don't mean dubbing in real time - I mean burning of files.

There is a "DVD copy" button which, when pressed, compiles all of the most recent files for DVD burning on a computer.

Would there be any harm in trying this direct to the DVD burner? (Static from the burner or whatever.)

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JVC has the "Share Station"....
    I believe Sony has a similar option...
    They are pricey , but work...
    It wouldn't hurt to try a regular external dvd burner....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That camera outputs a MPEG-2 format. It doesn't have FireWire output, AFAIK. From one review: "USB, Composite video/audio output, S-Video output". You could output to a DVD recorder with S-video, or even composite, if they have that input, or possibly USB, though I'm not sure how they deal with MPEG-2 over USB. You would have to check the DVD Recorder specs.

Since it should be DVD compliant MPEG-2, I would just transfer it to your computer over USB-2 and edit with a MPEG editor, then author and burn. VideoReDo or MPEG-VCR are two inexpensive MPEG editors. There are also freeware ones like Cuttermaran, but the pay ones may be easier to use.

Or if it's already DVD compliant and you don't want to edit, just do the transfer to the PC and author and burn as a DVD. Or you can copy it as-is to a DVD data disc, which some set top players will play, then you don't need to author.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies...

JimboS
    It wouldn't hurt to try a regular external dvd burner....
    Thanks, I'll go ahead and try it,

Originally Posted by redwudz
    That camera outputs a MPEG-2 format. It doesn't have FireWire output, AFAIK. From one review: "USB, Composite video/audio output, S-Video output". You could output to a DVD recorder with S-video, or even composite, if they have that input, or possibly USB, though I'm not sure how they deal with MPEG-2 over USB. You would have to check the DVD Recorder specs.
    Since it should be DVD compliant MPEG-2, I would just transfer it to your computer over USB-2 and edit with a MPEG editor, then author and burn. VideoReDo or MPEG-VCR are two inexpensive MPEG editors. There are also freeware ones like Cuttermaran, but the pay ones may be easier to use.
    Or if it's already DVD compliant and you don't want to edit, just do the transfer to the PC and author and burn as a DVD. Or you can copy it as-is to a DVD data disc, which some set top players will play, then you don't need to author.
    And welcome to our forums.
    Thanks, seems like a cool forum...

Yeh, the camera does have the S-Video output; but that's for playing in real time, like on a TV screen, right?

It actually is firewire; the camera has a firewire output. The cable that is provided is firewire on one end, USB on the other.

What I wanted to be able to do was bring the burner with me. When I was done shooting - burn someone else a copy of the files and give them a DVD - without having to locate a pc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    FireWire and USB are quite a bit different. You wouldn't have both on the same cable. You sure that's not a mini-USB port? They look similar to mini-FireWire:

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    FireWire and USB are quite a bit different. You wouldn't have both on the same cable. You sure that's not a mini-USB port? They look similar to mini-FireWire:
    Wow, thanks -- you're right. I looked at your pic, it is mini USB on the camera.
    It also has the USB symbol engraved on the camera.

I was thinking that only Firewire looked like that. Learn something new everyday.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,

I found the information of this burner in my brouchure in my Panasonic SDR H-20.

http://www.pixela.co.jp/en/products/camera/pix_bu010_p01/index.html

It says it's working with my and your camcorder... Pice is so expensive, so I'm hesitating.. but I'll cal this number to ask if really works..
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jackjacky
    Hey,

I found the information of this burner in my brouchure in my Panasonic SDR H-20.

http://www.pixela.co.jp/en/products/camera/pix_bu010_p01/index.html

It says it's working with my and your camcorder... Pice is so expensive, so I'm hesitating.. but I'll cal this number to ask if really works..
    That's pretty cool. That Pixela burner weighs only about a pound.

When I first made this post I didn't realize that my burner was going to "feel" as heavy as the specs noted beforehand. (Just got it.)

So, my original question is not really relevant at the moment in regards to my burner - it most likely will be kept near my pc...

...but the burner you linked is cool - yeh, that price $300 is too high...

BTW, how do you like your camera? With my 1 CCD chip, the video quality is very good -- your 3CCD must be amazingly good...
    Quote Quote