VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Just quick question, will a "DIVX file with menu" playable on a DVD player tthat support DIVX playback? Will the file play without Menu or will it not play at all?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It must be a divx ultra certified dvd player, http://www.divx.com/products/hw/browse.php?c=16 , and it must be authored with divx authoring tool like divx author, tmpgenc dvd author 3, divxmediabuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeh i know it require divx ultra certified dvd player to play the file with menu. But I ask IF the player Is Not divx ultra certified dvd player, will the file play without menu or will it not play anything at all?

thanks

EDIT: nvm, I'll just open the .divx in virtualdub and save as .avi and it would get rid of the menu and properly playable on normal dvd-divx player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ooops...Yes, an ordinary divx certified player should play .divx files but not the menu then.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming the .divx file respects all the other restrictions (resolution, bitrate, Qpel etc.) then yes, a certified player will play it. A non-certified, generic mpeg-4 capable player might not recognise the .divx extension, but should play the same file if it is either remuxed into an avi container, or has the extension changed to .avi
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by psxiso
    Yeh i know it require divx ultra certified dvd player to play the file with menu. But I ask IF the player Is Not divx ultra certified dvd player, will the file play without menu or will it not play anything at all?

thanks
    Based on my limited experience with Philips DVD players that support Divx but are not Divx ultra certified, they will play such files fine without menus, BUT you will probably have to rename them from *.divx to *.avi for it to work. Some players may not understand the .divx file extension.
    Quote Quote