VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow. Who would have thought that something as presumably straightforward as 32-bit to 24-bit audio conversion would not only be missing from the defacto Windows-based audio editor, but also so difficult to find in the wild that I have to make a post specifically pleading for leads? Well, that's why I'm here. Got me a 32-bit, 48Khz WAV and want to convert it to something I can import into an audio-centric DVD project, since this seems to be the only sure route to 24-bit audio outside of a pc. I'm sure I'll feel properly dumb once somebody replies with a link to something in Tools, but I'm ready for it.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have no idea if it'll work, but when you save in Audacity, you can specify -

Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    the defacto Windows-based audio editor
    Whose name is... ?

=============
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SoundForge/Process/bit-depth conversion.
    Also available in Audition (formerly CoolEditPro) and WaveLab.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    32 bit audio? Where did you get that?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Adobe Audition (the program I reckon to be the best-known and most-used audio app for Windows) simply cannot convert anything to 24-bit. Even if you manually type in "24" and it says it's converting to 24-bit, the file it spits out is the same size, and loads as 32-bit.

Sound Forge, no real clue. It's a little pricey.

My 32-bit audio was acquired from a software-based synth sequencer. It's the only type of audio the program will generate (which is fine with me, save for the fact that Windows seems to be desperately lacking in methods for generating 24-bit audio).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Colmino
    Adobe Audition (the program I reckon to be the best-known and most-used audio app for Windows) simply cannot convert anything to 24-bit. Even if you manually type in "24" and it says it's converting to 24-bit, the file it spits out is the same size, and loads as 32-bit.
    Are you using v.1.5 (8/16/32 bit)?

Complete audio toolset

Record, mix, arrange, and edit your audio in one comprehensive, easy-to-use application. Produce high-resolution 24- or 32-bit files with sample rates up to 192kHz for HD- and DVD-quality audio.
    (http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/features/)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using 2.0. This isn't a missing feature that I discovered all by myself. Other people have been talking about it. In fact, that's about all I ever found when searching for apps that can save 24-bit audio files: people talking about how Audition can only do 8/16/32.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Goldwave too can save audio as 24-bit PCM.

\\\\\\\\\\
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Adobe Audition 1.5, in Edit view, go to file-save as-window pcm, click Options and a drop down menu will appear, Format 32-bit data as, select 24-bit packed int (Type 1, 24-bit). This will save as 24 bit even though Audition will still say that it is a 32-bit file. I do this all the time for converting files for use in T-Racks 24 standalone.
    Quote Quote