VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for some advice on a capture device that will capture old VHS and 8mm camcorder tapes. Any suggestions? I have looked at the Canopus ADVC - 55 analog to digital converter,but it is a little pricey? Is there something else out there that preforms the same? I like the video/audio lock feature on the canopus, but again, it is a little pricey. Looking for good performance at a inexpensive price....any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Please help me decide before the tapes go bad....LOL
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DAC-200 FireWire Digital/Analog Video Capture-Converter

http://www.synchrotech.com/product-1394/analog-dv-converter_01-dac-200-firewire.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Please help me decide before the tapes go bad....

maybe transfer to DVDR via a settop burner? relatively inexpensive these days. also no mental exercise required...plug in, put in blank, turn on TV, set duration (quality) of burned disc, start.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think there was an ADS Pyro that goes for around $50...
    these devices export in DV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have an older Sony analog camcorder, and just got finished capturing a couple of dozen analog tapes into mpeg2, then used Pinnacle Studio 10+ to edit and burn to DVD. I used the Hauppauge 250PVR card, and it worked flawlessly. I will say that Pinnacle can be a pain, so I am not necessarily recommending it for authoring. I figured out how to make it work well, but I can't guarantee that for all computers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ranchhand
    I will say that Pinnacle can be a pain
    The understatement of the century, I think. Saying "Pinnacle can be a pain" is kinda like saying "the surface of the sun is a bit warm."
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have used a Pinnacle 9 USB Moviebox to capture VHS tape video and audio. You don't have to use Pinnacle to edit or burn anything, but the Moviebox has done a good job for me as far as capturing is concerned. It gets saved to your hard drive as an MPG, so you can use anything to transcode and/or burn it.
    The Pinnacle Moviebox probably costs $100-$150 or so these days.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really appreciate the feed back, but I am stilling wondering if I should just buy the Canopus ADVC - 55? Is it worth the cost? Is a firewire output better than USB 2.0 output for Video capturing/converting (analog to digital)?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would strongly recommend the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 for your purpose. Alternatively a standalone DVD/HDD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why would you strongly recommend the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2? What have you experienced with this device? Also, does it have a problem converting PAL or NTSC? And, thank you for your suggestion. I am looking at the specifications now...Again, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. I would be careful of USB2 capture devices. I have an Adaptec and it uses proprietary drivers that prevent the use of most commonly available software. About the only program it will work with is Sonic MyDVD.
    Quote Quote