VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

I'm looking for a way to convert soft subs from .smi format to .srt format on a Mac. I'm using osX on a duel core intel processor.

I can watch the subs in VLC and mplayer but I want to convert them so I can play the video on my standalone DVD player too.

Thanx in advance! ^_^
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I only found one payware for Windows that would do it and it took two passes. One to go from .smi to .lrc and then from .lrc to .srt

You might be able to play the videos in VLC and embed the captions while saving the output demux-dump raw.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On Windows, Subtitle Workshop, freeware, can do this.
    It can read and write just about any format, though it does not support all the styling (colours, fonts, etc) of some rich formats like ASS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TitleLab on the Mac...have you tried this?
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx for the suggestions. ^_^

I looked at titleLab but it doesn't look like it recognizes .smi files. I'll download and check it out though.

Manipulating avis and softsubs can be such a pain on a mac. I've been thinking maybe I should just buy a pc for encoding stuff :P

still looking for a way to turn an .smi to a .srt on a Mac for now though! Any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi sarujin, I made an online tool to convert .smi to .srt subtitles and back easily by just submitting the subtitle file. It is browser-based, so it is OS independent. Here is a link to it: http://gsm-tuning.blogspot.com/2008/04/bla.html

I hope this solves your little Mac problem
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by haxx
    Hi sarujin, I made an online tool to convert .smi to .srt subtitles and back easily by just submitting the subtitle file. It is browser-based, so it is OS independent. Here is a link to it: http://gsm-tuning.blogspot.com/2008/04/bla.html
    it only goes to some advertising site, nothing converted !

are you fooling us ???
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know why your subtitles didn't convert. I see there are problems with some kind corrupted subtitles, but anyway the converter works! I see that there are about 20-30 subtitle files converted daily. Try with other subs, i am sure it will convert them. And would you please send me the subtitles that didn't work on pm?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by haxx
    I don't know why your subtitles didn't convert. I see there are problems with some kind corrupted subtitles, but anyway the converter works! I see that there are about 20-30 subtitle files converted daily. Try with other subs, i am sure it will convert them. And would you please send me the subtitles that didn't work on pm?
    It looks smi I have is some sort of asian (Korean maybe) language and your converter can't do it (DBCS maybe?)
    nor it gives error - just an web space advert.

Anyway it's not english smi so I have no use of it

thanks for clarification !
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by krbo
    nor it gives error - just an web space advert.
    This is because the scripts are on free webhosting. I will soon move them to a paid one. And I should fix it to show when there is an error. Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get Jubler it's free and can convert to most sub formats and is a Mac program.
    Quote Quote