VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a video that is in avi format. When playing the video only about 15 seconds of the total 1:15 file actually plays. I have use files such as divfix to fix this file, but all they do is cut out the part after 15 seconds. Is there anyway to fix this file to view the whole file and not just the first small part? I thank you all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes not. First drop it into Gspot 2.70 and see what information it gives you. Specifically length, and does it show as correct? You can also try to render it there with the buttons on the bottom left.

I usually try to load the videos into VirtualDub or VD Mod. Use 'File>Open video file'. Then you will see a new menu. Check 'Ask for extended options after this dialog', then select your file. In the next menu, select 'Re-derive keyframe flags'. This will sometimes fix a bad index.

Then when finished, select 'Video>Error mode' and check 'Decode even if the result may be garbled'. Then 'Scan video stream for errors'.

But too often if the file is badly corrupted, you will get the same as you got before, just the first part of the video. Though the video may be showing a proper length, there may be no data after that first 15 seconds, at least nothing recoverable as video.

And you might try playing it VLC Media Player. It can handle missing and corrupted frames most times. If it can play it through, you may be able to use the transcode feature to save it.

If neither methods work at all, there may not be a lot of hope.

But other members may have some ideas. I never had much luck with 'repair' programs as they seem to just try to fix the header or the indexing.

And welcome to our Forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the welcome to the forum. I am not one to ask for help but I need it for this issue. I have been trying to correct this issue using VirtualDubMod but when I first open the file this is what I get.

Avi: Index not found or damaged – reconstructing via file scan.
    Avi: invalid chunk detected at 29386210. Enabling aggressive recovery mode

then when it plays the file it ends right at the point it cuts off at, which is 15 seconds of the video. I know the video is much longer and has played correct before. What I am not wondering is if there is a way that I could use some sort of a splitter to just play the file after the 15 second mark which would bypass the corrupt frame. Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also when I dropped it into gspot before it showed it as about 41% complete
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok its getting to the point now where I will send you money if you can help me fix this
    Quote Quote  
  6. In VirtualDubMod, after scanning the file, hold down a shift key and move the frame slider around. Can you move to the end of the video?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No the file is half the size it use to be. Once it hits the corrupt frame the program switches to aggressive mode and says that it is reconstructing Missing Index Block...Aggressive Mode. Not that I know what I am talking about but I tried using different AVI Splitters, but none of them identify the file at all. The only one that did was the HJSPLIT file, but once those files are split up they turn into files ending in .000, .001 and so on and they cannot be played. 20 bucks via paypal to anybody that can solve this for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If G-spot says 41% complete then is a chance (a good chance) that the download did not finish and you are missing a good part of the file. This can lead to all sorts of problems.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    to be more specific the file, after scanning in VDM, is 28 mb and the original file is 50 mb, so we all know the data is there. The question is how do I get to it, erase the corrupt frame and have it play as normal or at least split it in half and play it in two files.
    Quote Quote  
  10. After scanning the original file in VirtualDubMod but before saving, hold down a shift key and move the frame slider around. Can you move to the end of the video? If so the fix will be easy.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't get it to the end of the file. It only scans to 15 seconds (end of the bar on the program) but the file is over a minute long. I just opened the file in Gspot 2.21 and under file it says the size is 50 mb. Under stat is says "This is an invalid AVI file due to corrupstion of the data in the header. This is a serious problem, and this file is not likely to playable (even though I got half of it to play) Details: While processing chunk /RIFF:AVI , found bad length value 142307472 at file offset 0x00000804
    Quote Quote  
  12. Did you hold down the shift key while moving the slider?

Oh wait, you said the bar only shows 15 seconds. That means it was not able to recover anything past 15 seconds.

You can try using DivFix. It might have better luck than VirtualDubMod.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I did, I just scanned it again to make sure. Right after those errors the partial video showed up on the screen. I did not hit play, rather I held in shift and tried to move the bar all the way to the right. It did go all the way to the end of the screen, but that was at the 15 second mark.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to thank you for helping me by the way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's a really old version of g-spot. Update and try again. You may get better information from it. The file may be 50 MB, but depending on how you downloaded it, you may well not have filled it with video data. Many downloaders and torrent clients re-allocate space on the HDD so that the download doesn't fill up the disc and stop part-way. To do this they create an empty file, then fill it with the data as it downloads. If the download does stop, or you copy the file before it completes, you get a file that is the full size, but does not contain all the video data.

I also suggest you avoid double posting or you will simply annoy the moderators.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I go to the very end of the video on the bottom of the program it says MJPEG decoder: Access violation caught. Source may be corrupted
    Quote Quote  
  17. Given the size of your file, and the error message, it sounds like MJPEG. After opening it in VirtualDubMod use File -> File Information. That will list the audio and video codecs.

If you want to upload the file I'll take a look at it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what is the newest version of gspot?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2.70a. Find it in our tools section
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by thankyou
    what is the newest version of gspot?
    2.70a -- follow the link.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok I downloaded gspot and opened filed information. What do you need?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post a screenshot
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok give me a few minutes for this
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here is the file info screen print. Let me do that gspot one now

numberone.bmp
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did that work?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this may work instead

avi%20info.doc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's from virtualdub, not g-spot.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here is gspot screenprint

gspot.doc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    g-spot says the file should be 85MB, and has been truncated. This means you are missing quite a bit of the file anyway (over 30%) and calls into question the quality and validity of what you do have.

Do you still have the memory card with the file on it ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no I do not. It was sent to me. I guess the only thing I have to do is try to get the file again right? Well thank you for your help though. I just assumed that since the file was 50mb and when I played it in VDub it was shorter, I could then recover the missing parts. Thanks again and let me know if you can think of anything else.
    Quote Quote