VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    thankyou, please do not double post. I've locked the other topics. If you want to move a topic to another forum, PM a Mod. Please read our rules before posting. Further duplicate posts will get you a warning card.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    one last question for you. How come when I used HJSplit and split the files it came up with 50 mb of files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was respoding to this post (below, from another thread, and reprinted here) when I got
    the locked message telling me I couldn't make posts to it. Anyway.

I am not one to ask for help but I need it for this issue. I have been trying to correct this issue using VirtualDubMod but when I first open the file this is what I get.

Avi: Index not found or damaged – reconstructing via file scan.
    Avi: invalid chunk detected at 29386210. Enabling aggressive recovery mode

then when it plays the file it ends right at the point it cuts off at, which is 15 seconds of the video. I know the video is much longer and has played correct before. Somebody suggested that I use avidefreezer to fix the bad frames once I identified them in VirtualDubMod, but I the problem with that is that it cuts off after 15 seconds. I know what frame number starts the problem, but I do not know when it ends. What I am not wondering is if there is a way that I could use some sort of a splitter to just play the file after the 15 second mark which would bypass the corrupt frame. Any thoughts?
    thankyou, ahh you're welcome, I mean..

Try this, as an alternative to your problem.

This is what I've done in the past when I needed to get around a stubern (avi) problem.

a) -- open file in vdub
    b) -- let it scan and do its thing
    c) -- then, play the file, but watch carefully the status line where it shows the frame no's
    d) -- after it crashes (or whatever it does) ..
    e) -- re-open again in vdub and let it do its thing, again
    f) -- remembering the frame no, press Ctrl+G and then enter the frame no.. ie, 10
    g) -- now, press Ctrl+G again, and this time, increment the 10.. ie, 12
    h) -- then, press the DEL key to delete just that one frame. The bad frame is no 11.

The key here is to remember where it crashes or stops at the bad frame, and then
    delete it using the above steps. Now sometimes there are more areas of the avi file
    that are bad. You just have to go through the process, manually. But for one, this
    is a shor-shot way of removing it and moving onward in your video endeavor.

Then, you resave it using either a diff. compression codec, or you can use the video's
    original codec, and save as Direct Stream Copy. Then you will have a clean avi file,
    but without a frame or two. The audio will be fine for one or two. It won't de-sync
    as long as you follow the method outlined above. I know, because i've done this
    before.

Good luck, and, you're welcome

-vhelp 4402
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for your help and let me first say that you all have helpful. It didn't work but its a start. I appreciate everything.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the only thing is the corrupt one is 470 and there is no more video after 470
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been having the same problem that was responded to on the following post http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/39277p1.html I have not tried this yet but will be soon.

Here is what my post entailed - the response is on the moviecodec forum

I am unable to view recent AVI file captures. Programs indicate they cannot detect the codecs, render the file or the file is corrupt. These AVI’s have no video properties listed under file properties. I am not sure if the problem occurred due to a previously installed update,an unappliable update or, if I just ran out of disk space while recording these videos causing them to terminate unnaturally.

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I captured video through Phillips PC Cam - AmCap uncompressed dbi-AVI RGB 24.
    Windows Media Player cannot detect a codec.
    File properties list only the size but do not list any video or audio properties.
    Some files have an attribute of A, others, AC or AN.
    I am unable to render the videos in GSpot or any other program.

I was able to split it with master splitter and as described in another post attempt to replace the 001 file with that from a good video with the same codec etc... (50 is the size split)
    When these are joined and opened in virtual dub - it only plays the portion of the video that copied over onto the corrupted stream.
    Upon rendering it has all the correct information but shows the Avi file to be small (2%) and the rest to be unneccessary and at the end of the Video (junk).

I am not sure if this is caused by the below described scenario or if it simply because the program terminated unnaturally when i ran out of disk space.

I really need to retrieve these AVI Videos. Microsoft claims that they are not trained to fix videos only install and uninstall and further screw up my computer.

The history of the Microsoft problem is below for those interested. This may have caused the problem or like stated above i may have ran out of space. Either way I still cannot install the update that addresses the corruption in the AVISTream

Note: I am able to capture and view videos again at this time. It is the AVI recorded as described I cannot view.

AFter having a problem with IE7 I was unable to play any video captures. The Problem and Solutions link on my computer told me I required an update. This update addresses both AVI stream corruption and the IE crash. My system tells me when I try to install that this update does not apply to my system. I think it’s confused.

I have clocked around four hours a night with microsoft plus emails for two weeks where they have controlled & installed, uninstalled codecs programs to no avail. ie only crashes when i try to access the links in my menu bar. it does not crash in safe mode only in regular mode. Internet Explorer would randomly closed and the error message was received stating DEP has closed it to prevent damage to computer. When trying to play the video captures through Phillips PC Cam webcam, it indicated “the file is corrupt or I do not have the codec installed to read the video”.

The problem and solutions on my computer indicated installing update KB938979 would address these problems. However, when trying to install it, the message was received stating this update did not apply to the system,.

The update addresses the ie and avi problem but does not say how to repair those files that were corrupted in the interm. I really need those AVI files that have no Video properties added in
    Quote Quote