VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi all
    just got a kiss dp-1600 player, but there's no way to play my previuosly encoded h264 files, nor to make an h264 encoding working on it (tried out almost 5 different settings and all the h264ffmpegx codecs): anyone knows how to make them work? I'd prefer to use ffmpegX but, if not possible, other mac osX tools could be fine ...
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    update: it does not like avc 5.1 or 5.0, while plays 4.0 files ... any idea about what this means?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The H.264 menocder preset is fixed on AVC level 5.1.
    The H.264 x264 preset allows you to set a AVC level (1.0–5.1) in the Options tab.
    If using CABAC or b-frames, AVC Main Profile is used.
    If not using CABAC nor b-frames, AVC Baseline Profile is used.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so, you are suggesting to encode without cabac (that I often use) and b-frames (that I never use)? is there some evident quality loss in reducing avc from 5.1 to 4.0?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kallo
    so, you are suggesting to encode without cabac (that I often use) and b-frames (that I never use)?
    Not per se. CABAC/Main Profile might be a compatibility issue, so it's worth checking a (short) clip to see if your player handles Baseline Profile better than Main Profile. But maybe either is fine. If your spec sheet doesn't mention it, then you'll just have to test it.

Originally Posted by Kallo
    is there some evident quality loss in reducing avc from 5.1 to 4.0?
    No. As far as I can tell, the level defines what maximum parameters are allowed. For e.g. 640 px wide, you'll need level 3 or higher.
    If your player is level 4.0 compatible, then all your H.264 content should be level 4.0 or lower.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanx. I guess my contents won't be higher than 720 px wide, 4 could be enough ...
    Quote Quote  
  7. I got that messy player too!(at least for h.264 compatibility).I've been transcoding a lot of 720p MKV to MP4 container now, and i definitely can advice you to lower profile to 3 or worse...or video would be choppy like hell!If you have already encoded files as i do, you can use h264info.exe(google it, sorry).Mp4 and aac lc audio is best for Kiss dp1600.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    resuming this old discussion just to tell that I made a preset for the kiss. should someone be intrested, just ask ...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    some more news: firmware 1.1.17 removed avc check, making almost every h264 file I tried up to now playable!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've updated the firmware to 1.1.17 and i still cant play an mp4.
    Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this, ive included a screenshot of GSPOT with details of the mp4 file.

Brian

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Kiss DP-1600 and solved the problem this way.

Have you tried setting the audio to 32khz? I noticed from your screen-shot that the setting was 44khz. 32 khz is what you need for the DP-1600.

Also have you made sure that the H264 video setting is no higher than "Main Profile 4.0". If you have Main Profile 4.1 in your H264 file, that is no good for the DP-1600. Mp4box.exe is a good way to tell which profile your H264 file is.

Nero Recode 2 can change both the audio and the video in this way but I am sure there are others. If you use Nero Recode 2, changing the audio setting is straightforward and changing the video setting for Main Profile 4.0 is simply a question of selecting the "cinema" setting.

When I had changed my 720p H264 files using those settings, my DP-1600 starting playing them smoothly (they were juddery before) and I was also able to have them smoothly stream from my XP PC .

Also, I recommend "Llamakiss" for streaming to Kiss DP-1600 from your XP or Vista PC. Unlike PC-link, it updates folders real-time. It works on many other Kiss players as well apparently.
    Quote Quote