VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an old sony dvd rec / VHS and all the disks I burn will not play on any of my DVD players. From what I have read on this forum the model I have would make a better boat anchor than a DVD recorder. So I need to purchase a new recorder. I would like one with a DV in port to hook up my camcorder to. Can someone recommend a good recorder? Would a hard drive speed up the process? Is this the best / fastest way to transfer my old tapes?

Thanks in advance for the HELP!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try JVC , Pioneer, LG,Toshiba and panny. All will give you good result, some better than others. Hard drive will not speed up process but can but use as good storage. For other inform check old post....
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not able to help with recorders. I do transfer hi8 etc. Your question regarding best / fastest is not really answerable as it depends on what you want to achieve.

Is it the best depends on the quality of your original footage and what your expectation is of the result. I spend a lot of time on the PC correcting color and exposure etc. You might be happy with what you get from the footage you have without any editing.

Is it the quickest? Well, probably. But refer to the previous question about is it the best.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Would a hard drive speed up the process?
    Only if you need to edit the captures. Non-hdd recorders capturing to dvd-r or dvd+r in video mode do not provide any means of editing the video other than making a title or changing a thumbnail typically. Editing can happen with rewritable media such as dvd-ram, dvd-rw, or dvd+rw but to burn to dvd-r or dvd+r requires transferring the content to a computer. Rewriteable media is slower than non-rewriteable media so it will take 15-20 minutes to do that transfer.

The advantage of a hdd model is that you can capture many dvd's worth of material and then edit and burn to dvd video mode disks without having to transfer to a computer. There are some downsides. Hdd models cannot do frame accurate edits and transfer high speed to a disk, typically the menu options are limited ( the Toshiba models may the exception ), and they have very poor availability in the US.

What Sony model do you have which is supposed to be so bad?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have a Polaroid DRM-2001G and it is excellent for transferring 8mm and VHS sources.. In almost all cases the copies look better than the original thanks to the filtering of the LSI chipset. It also has an 80G hard drive which I found really helpful.

These used to be available at Walmart for just over $200. You may be able to find them on ebay.

I did not use the DVD recorder for editing, so I can't comment on that aspect. I would burn a DVD and then bring it over to my computer for editing and menu creation.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tmorg2009 View Post
    I use StaxRip batch convertor with 'XviD HD720' codec selected, interlaced encoding enabled, square aspect ratio, 656x480 resize, avi/mp3 container to bring it down to 850MB/hour for playback on DivX compatible DVD or Blu-Ray players.
    You're not serious. 850MB per hour? For VHS? I'd advise the O.P. to avoid low bitrates/high lossy compression for VHS sources.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 24th Mar 2014 at 12:51.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Originally Posted by tmorg2009 View Post
    I use StaxRip batch convertor with 'XviD HD720' codec selected, interlaced encoding enabled, square aspect ratio, 656x480 resize, avi/mp3 container to bring it down to 850MB/hour for playback on DivX compatible DVD or Blu-Ray players.
    You're not serious. 850MB per hour? For VHS? I'd advise the O.P. to avoid low bitrates/high lossy compression for VHS sources.

Originally Posted by bryanport View Post
    I have an old sony dvd rec ...
    What does "will not play" mean? Disc not recognized? Was your burned disc finalized before removing from the recorder?
    I'm curious as to what the problem is with 850MB per hour for VHS? That would make an hour and a half movie about 1.35GB which will have a very decent resolution given the source of VHS, being SD. Are you thinking that he meant 850Mb per hour which is 1/8 that of 850MB? Megabyte vs Megabit? The former is usually used to measure size while the latter is usually used to measure bandwidth or speed, though both are used for each instance.

I am only asking because I am may have the task of transferring a lot of old VHS tapes to digital format and have been trying to come up with an estimate for the amount of space needed for storage and I had worked out that 700-900 MB per hour would be a decent size for SD, unless I am mistaken on my compression facts.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what you mean by "worked it out" at 850 MB per hour. Are you referring to bitrate? You're talking about a bitrate of 2000 or so. I see no need to debate the outcome. Your first recording will answer all your questions.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 24th Mar 2014 at 12:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "worked it out" at 850 MB per hour. Are you referring to bitrate? You're talking about a bitrate of 2000 or so. I see no need to debate the outcome. Your first recording will answer all your questions.

why? you re-opened a 5 year old post for no reason.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What was it doing at the top of the "current topics" list in October 2012?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 24th Mar 2014 at 12:52.
    Quote Quote