VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i downloaded a movie from shareaza. it was an avi. i'm trying to burn it to a blank dvd. i have been trying to do it with nero. i had some people tell me that all i can burn is mpg. also i cant see the movie when i try to watch it with media player i can hear it but all i see are the squiggly lines. sorry about the lingo computer handicapped.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would first drop it into Gspot 2.70 and see what format it really is. AVI is just the container name, it could be any one of a dozen formats. Check for MP3 VBR audio and see if the file is PAL or NTSC. (PAL is 25fps) Both can cause conversion problems with some programs.

Nero isn't much good for converting AVI type files to DVD, IMO. And Windows Media Player isn't often much good for playing them. Try VLC Media Player as it uses it's own codecs. If it can't properly play the video, it may be corrupted.

Try ConvertXToDVD. It works well with most videos off the net for conversions to DVD.

If you want a DVD to play on most set top players, it must be a MPEG and be DVD compliant. Look to the upper left on this page in 'WHAT IS' DVD for the DVD specification and format.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All DVD players can play DVDs. Some DVD players can play mpg files. Some DVD players can play some avi files if they are encoded with Divx or Xvid. And a few take other formats as well.

If your player does not play avi files, or the avi file is not suitable, then you need to convert the file to a DVD compliant format before burning. You can do this with a variety of programs. NeroVision Express is one program that you probably have as part of the Nero suite. FAVC is a free program that produces higher quality output than Nero, but will take longer. DVD Flick is another. ConvertXtoDVD is not free, but is fast and produces good results. All of these are more reliable than Nero, but you find Nero is easier to use.

Choose a program, load your avi file, and let it process the file into a DVD compliant structure. This will consist of a Video_TS folder containing a series of files ending in .ifo, .bup and .vob. You need to burn this to a DVD using Nero, or better yet, Imgburn (in BUILD mode).
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got media player to play my video. now im trying to convert my files to dvd so i can play them for my kids on the tv. i recently downloaded avs4you. when i convert my files my whole computer shuts down about a third of the way through it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check your CPU temperatures. That's the most common cause of that problem. I would also pull off the side cover of the computer and see if there is any dust in there. If so, take it outside and blow it out with some canned air. Wedge the fans with a zip tie to keep them from overspeeding or running backwards when using the air.

Then try another encode. You can also direct a desk fan in there while you have the side cover off and see if that helps.

And it may not be a temp problem. Other factors can cause a shutdown. I assume that's a full shutdown, just like you pulled the plug? That is often from high temps.

But it if fails after all that at the exactly same place in the encode, it could be a software problem. Let us know.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While using avs product , download and run IBProcMan from http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php
    When loaded , and avs product running , hit the little icon that looks like a floppy disk , and save list .

Open this txt file in notepad and remove identification if shown ... just remove your name ... especially if running IBProcMan on desktop .

Post this process list .

----

What did gspot report as video decoder ?

----

Sudden shut down could indicate a sudden temp rise in cpu which triggers pc to shut down without notice .
    Enter bios and check cpu thermal shutdown settings , if supported .
    Speedfan to monitor while process is running : http://www.almico.com/installspeedfan433.exe .

Software side of things is a little more complicated because not everyone uses the same products and hardware .

A: Update hardware drivers .
    B: Clean pc out , dust .
    C: Confirm decoder required for video processing .

Then we'll get an idea of what the trigger event is .
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you were right it was temperature. i tried converting the movie in the morning when my computer was cool and i also directed a fan at it on low speed. it never stopped one time. i had it converted and burned in about an hour. thank so much for your help. i will be keeping this forum on my favorites for future reference. i know i will need it again. also i couldn't believe the dust that was in there.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well, at least it appears to be a simple problem. I assume you have blown out the dust.

I would also go into BIOS and check your temperatures, if your BIOS has that page. You might also look into improving the cooling if your temps are still a bit high. I prefer two fans, a intake at the front of the PC and a exhaust to the rear. Last would be a upgrade of your CPU cooler.

Too many PCs seem to be marginal for cooling. A little dust shouldn't bring the PC to a halt. Of course, if the heat sinks are totally clogged, it's understandable.

At minimum, it looks like you need to clean the dust out on a regular schedule.
    Quote Quote