VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Of all the very intelligent people that log into this website, as well as other sites related to video processing, nobody has came out with some software to make sure the audio and video of a authored dvd are in sync. That's the biggest problem i have right now. I've tried everything to get things in sync with this video i converted from an old video tape. It's crazy! I made sure all my drives involved were defragged, and have ultra DMA 4 on all of them. For some reason, it cannot be in sync. I've worked on this video for a week, trying lots of things.

If anyone has any solutions, feel free to throw them my way.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm really suprised,
    you think you've provided enough info to help us help you.

Be specific.
    start with a better title to your thread,
    provide info about your source (gspot/mediainfo),
    tell us what's been tried.
    you can even upload a sample somewhere, someone will probably look at it.

gl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would have to be pretty impressive software to be able to watch the video, check that the audio matches, and be able to work in a variety of languages. And if it could read the subtitles as well . . . .

Seriously, there are very few causes for sync problems, and all of them are well covered in these forums. The main causes are :

1. VBR MP3 and poor quality encoders. Most decent encoders now understand VBR MP3 or have work arounds. WinAVI and Nero don't.

2. Format conversion. Converting between PAL and NTSC, and doing badly, will cause sync issues. There are ways of doing this that don't cause problems, and programs such as FAVC and DVD Flick implement these methods to great effect.

3. Corrupt videos. Encoding videos requires that every bit of data be in place. Playback can be a little more forgiving.

And finally, as in your case, there are hardware issues. VHS tape stretches over time. This can cause timing errors that may not be apparent when watching the tape, but do manifest when capturing. A Timebase Corrector is a piece of hardware designed to correct these errors and help maintain audio sync, amongst other things. Also, many cheaper capture devices simply cannot maintain audio sync when capturing video.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snafubaby
    Of all the very intelligent people that log into this website, as well as other sites related to video processing, nobody has came out with some software to make sure the audio and video of a authored dvd are in sync.
    VirtualDub Sync
    SyncView
    Hypercube Time Stretcher
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 45tripp
    I'm really suprised,
    you think you've provided enough info to help us help you.

Be specific.
    start with a better title to your thread,
    provide info about your source (gspot/mediainfo),
    tell us what's been tried.
    you can even upload a sample somewhere, someone will probably look at it.

gl
    I guess a flew off the handle for a bit there. Didn't mean to rattle the bars of any cages out there. I am just frustrated, is all. Anyway, the video is captured using ADSTech DVD Xpress' "CAPWIZ" software. It is, of course, captured in m2v, at a bitrate of 6mbps. I then used freeware software called DVD Builder to multiplex it to DVD. Of course, like i said in my original post, i make sure all my drives that are involved are defragged, with lots of space.

I've done tons of video with great success with this unit. For some reason, this one video is giving me fits. I will run it through gspot and post the results in a while. It must be difficult for getting things in sync, like Gunslinger said. The video is from an old tape, and like he said, the tape could have stretched, causing sync problems. I will definitely post more info in a while. Thanks to all for the preliminary help in this matter. More details to follow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check sync at each stage.

Is it in sync after capture ?
    Is it in sync after authoring ?
    Do you edit in between capturing and authoring ?
    If so, is it in sync after editing ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is the m2v in sync when you play it? Then I would try VideoRedo and use the quick stream fix and then author it. You could also try run it through projectx or pvastrumento (freee tools).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    snafubaby, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote