VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to use a dual layer dvd-r in a single layer burner, where i could just use it as a 4.7gb disc?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It might be possible, but I doubt it. I think you will just waste the disc and have a coaster if it even tries. More likely, the burner will just reject the disc as unusable as no dual layer burn strategy will be in the drives firmware.

But I don't really know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, curiousity killed the cat. I am just curious, as i'm having issues with my dual layer burner. I've had it since february, but never used any dual layer discs in it. I bought some memorex dual layers, and tried to burn something on one. It won't read the discs, at all! I even tried Nero's infotool, and it keeps saying "disc not inserted". I have another burner, and it's single layer. I would rather not have a bunch of unusual discs lying around, so i just thought i would ask if the single layer burner could burn to the discs. I guess it won't hurt to try. thanks for your answer!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I could be wrong but....when a disc is inserted into the drive, the burner first reads the disc media data from the disc. It then takes this information and verifies this against the known media info list stored in the firmware. If the code is not found in the list, you get an error message (varies by player) as you found out. You get similar messages inserting dvd blanks into a cd only burner or a +R disc into a -R only burner. A single layer burner will not recognize any DL media code and you will always get the media error message.

With the current cost of DL media, this would be a big waste of money anyway. The difference in cost between SL and DL media is enough to offset the cost of a new burner.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Memorex is horrible quality media. Take a look at
    http://www.nomorecoasters.com
    Before I learned better, a few years ago I bought a 25 pack of Memorex single layer DVD discs (don't remember if they were + or - as I can burn both) and I got so many coasters that I said "Never again" to buying Memorex. If you use any DL media except Verbatim DVD+R DL discs, you are wasting your money. They are the only DL discs that work reliably. Yes, you must buy Verbatim. Yes, it must be +R DL.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    They don't call them memorsux for nothing?
    Quote Quote