VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thinking of buying this external dvd burner. LG SecurDisc 20x External Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Super Multi Drive Model: GSA-E60L.

My question is speed? AT what speed will I be recording if I use a usb port. Just curious about it. Can i record at at least 8X speed. Thanks all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming USB 2.0, yes, it should work at 8X. USB 1.1, maybe not.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if it's usb 2.0 u got then it's probably at least 12X.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks alot. Now I need to research if it's Vista 64 compatible. Thanks all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The speed you actually record at will depend on the software you use, the speed of your system and the write startegy which the drive implements for a particular brand of media as well as the USB speed and the media quality.

USB 2.0 will allow speeds up to the full rated speed of the drive if no other bottleneck exists.

Ifr Vista64 supports USB interfaces and DVDwriters (which it does), this should work. Whether any bundled software does is another issue,

You should be more concerned with whether MSCE supports this drive and whether a firmware download for MSCE to use exists because LG drives are riplocked, and you need to use MSCE and the LG drive firmware file to remove the riplock.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. which External drives are NOT riplocked, in your opinion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way

USB 2.0 will allow speeds up to the full rated speed of the drive if no other bottleneck exists.
    USB 2.0 sustained transfer tops out in the 25-32MB/s range so burn rates greater than 16x (22.1MB/s) can and do break real time. The burner software must pause.
    Quote Quote