VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I had a question about using a DVD recorder to record programs from digital cable. Are there any recorders on the market now that would allow me to record digital cable channels without using a set-top box? My guess is that, right now, all digital cable recording must be routed through a cable box, but I wondered if any new tuning systems were being designed to address this issue.
    Hopefully someone will have some insight for me.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the recorder has a QAM tuner, it can receive HDTV cable channels without a set top box. The ones available in recorders today convert the HD signal to SD for recording to dvd. I have tested a LG RC797T and a Panasonic DMR-EZ37V and both can receive HD programs including those the FCC requires to be made available ( local chanels ) to analog cable subscribers. I do not have a set top box so I am not sure how many channels are available with one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Philips DVDR3575H/37 also records digital channels. One user on Verizon FIOS digital cable gets 37 video channels in the clear, plus many music channels.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    QAM tuning usually gets the digital locals if the VCR has that feature. Cable companies are required to provide the digital locals in clear or unencrypted QAM but VCRs are not required to have QAM tuning capability. They are required to have ATSC (over air) tuners or no tuners. ATSC tuners do nothing with cable.

As for the locals, only the primary local is required to be carried for "must carry" status TV stations. There is a second compromise ruling where PBS subchannels will be offered "free" as clear QAM by cable companies but not in analog.

"Retransmission Consent" locals (major networks) cut their own deal with the local cable company that may include secondary subchannels like weather or "The Tube", etc. over clear QAM.

Beyond the locals additional free or clear QAM channels are at the discretion of the local cable company. Here the only additional clear QAM on Comcast is CSPAN 1 and 2. I've noticed other cable companies offering more.

In theory, CableCard could be offered for a VCR but I haven't seen one. CableCard is a smart card programmed by the cable company to allow decryption of certain encrypted channels per the pay plan you have.
    Quote Quote