VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok just got SAMSUNG LE40M86BD LCD and have a sapphire x1950 pro in my Pc

any idea's what is best way to connect them up@?

just dvi to vga?

or dvi-hdmi?

Would prob only use this for watching TV/films that i have downloaded

really unsure...any help be great thnx
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVI, HDMI= Digital (Though some DVI connectors may also have some analog signals)
    Component, VGA= Analog

So not DVI to VGA. But DVI to HDMI should work. But HDMI also includes audio, which DVI doesn't. But you should be able to run the audio separate. I use my surround sound system for audio anyway, not the TV.

It appears that card also has component output, which your TV may have. That card doesn't appear to have VGA output.

But I'm guessing a DVI to HDMI cable would work fine, along with a audio cable to your TV or amplifier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try DVI to HDMI and if you have HDCP problems, switch to Component.

I connect my PC with the TV using Component myself.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok did use dvi-d to hdmi and took a little time but working like a charm

all i have to do is go into the catalyst control center and in display manager click on the monitar and choose "swap displays" maintain per-display mode settings and the picture swaps onto tv

hope this might help some that are having trouble
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by slackbladder
    ok did use dvi-d to hdmi and took a little time but working like a charm

all i have to do is go into the catalyst control center and in display manager click on the monitar and choose "swap displays" maintain per-display mode settings and the picture swaps onto tv

hope this might help some that are having trouble
    The ATI x1950 has several options. Did DVI-D result in overscan? The Samsung 4665 that I know allows DVI-D to HDMI native without overscan. I forget for the moment Samsung's menu name for "raw pixels".

You are fortunate to have a flexible display card and a flexible HDTV. Many options are possible.

The x1950 like most DVI-I cards supports both DVI-D and VGA on the DVI connector. DVI-I includes pins for both DVI-D and VGA. A simple adapter taps the VGA pins. VGA resolutions accepted are found in the TV manual.

The x1950 also supports analog component out at 1920x1080i. The issue here is on most cards is the card first deinterlaces and then extracts the 1080i from the deinterlaced progressive version. Quality is set by the card not the TV deinterlacer which is often better.

So, DVD-D is best if it doesn't overscan. If the TV does overscan and you must resize the desktop on the display card to fit the TV, the resulting quality drop may cause VGA at lower resolutions to look better. VGA inputs usually will not overscan on LCD TV sets. You need to test and compare.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Samsungs pixel-for-pixel mode is called "Just Scan". It works great on my 4665 via a DVI/HDMI cable, driven at 1080p60 by an Asus EN8600GT Silent.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Stackbladder and other folks! I am facing a similar issue as Stackbladder was facing. I have a Sapphire Radeon 9200 and just bought a Samsung 32 inch LCD (R87). Wanted to connect the two via DVI->HDMI and for that purpose got a DVI-HDMI cable. Connected the HDMI end to the side HDMI input of the samsung TV.

However I got a message on my TV saying "signal not supported". Is this because:

1) The Cable I was using was a male DVI-D (single) to HDMI, whereas the interface in my VGA card is a DVI-I dual link.

2) I was connecting the HDMI output to the HDMI input in the side slot of the TV and not the one on the back. The one on the back is different only in the way that it has L and R composite audio Inputs grouped with it. I don't think this should make any difference but the manual vaguely points out that particular input be used for DVI->HDMI.

Thanks a lot guys! I would really appreciate your help
    Quote Quote  
  8. Did you read your TV manual and make sure to use a supported resolution?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by arsalan.syed
    Stackbladder and other folks! I am facing a similar issue as Stackbladder was facing. I have a Sapphire Radeon 9200 and just bought a Samsung 32 inch LCD (R87). Wanted to connect the two via DVI->HDMI and for that purpose got a DVI-HDMI cable. Connected the HDMI end to the side HDMI input of the samsung TV.

However I got a message on my TV saying "signal not supported". Is this because:

1) The Cable I was using was a male DVI-D (single) to HDMI, whereas the interface in my VGA card is a DVI-I dual link.

2) I was connecting the HDMI output to the HDMI input in the side slot of the TV and not the one on the back. The one on the back is different only in the way that it has L and R composite audio Inputs grouped with it. I don't think this should make any difference but the manual vaguely points out that particular input be used for DVI->HDMI.

Thanks a lot guys! I would really appreciate your help
    I'm not following. First the 9200 isn't an "ATI Theater 200" card and as such has little video processing support. The 9550 is the lowest Theater 200 card. You can still try to use it to display a windows desktop.

Second, "dual link" isn't supported by most if not all HDTV sets. Dual link is used for CAD/Graphics type computer monitors that support resolutions above 1920x1080.

It is true that 1920x1080 comes in single link (cropped) and dual link (full) versions. Only the former is generally supported by an HDTV. I doubt the 9200 supports dual link at all.

Third, the 9200 has no audio support at all. Some true HDMI display cards route audio to the HDMI output.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by TBoneit
    Did you read your TV manual and make sure to use a supported resolution?
    And refresh rate. Your HDTV will probably be a little different but here's the list of supported resolutions from my Samsung LNT-4665 manual:

640x350 70.086 Hz
    720x400 70.087 Hz
    640x480 59.94 Hz
    800x600 70.086 Hz
    1024x768 60.00 Hz
    1280x1024 60.02 Hz
    1920x1080 59.934 Hz
    Quote Quote