VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I have a VOB DTS file and I want to convert it to the VOB AC3 file. I extracted the DTS audio from VOB using ifoedit tool but unable to convert it to the AC3 format. when I try to convert 3.5MB DTS audio file using dtsac3 and dtswavac3 tool, I got only 1.5 MB ac3 file. I tried foober2000, DaudioK, DVD lap pro, BeSweet and IFO edit but unable to convert complete (.dts) to (.ac3) successfully. If I convert to AC3(3.5MB) then I can make it a complete VOB AC3 file. But want to know how to convert DTS to AC3 withtout any loss of size.

Any help will be greatly appreciated........Thanks in Advance.
    shanthaprasad
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    what bitrate are you using? if you use lower ac3 bitrate you will get a smaller file size and dts has usually higher audio bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You CAN'T convert without loss of size. DTS uses 2 bit rates, both of which are higher than it is possible to use with AC3. The AC3 file size will always be smaller than the DTS file size. Conversion from DTS to AC3 is lossy, but you may not notice the difference.

DVD with DTS and without AC3 is invalid. The only DVD I have ever seen that has something like this is the Hong Kong DVD of Jackie Chan's movie "The Myth". This DVD had the soundtrack in DTS and there was one AC3 track, but it was a commentary for the movie. Unless you have a situation like this, there should be an AC3 track on the DVD already or an LPCM track which you can convert to AC3 with various free tools.

There have been threads in the past on how to do this kind of conversion. A web search might also provide some info. People who have tried to do this have often had problems. You will have to re-author the DVD after you finish this conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DTS 5.1 = 768Kbps

Dolby Digital 5.1 = 448Kbps

Dolby digital 2.0 = 192Kbps

So as Baldrick said, when converting to AC3 from DTS you will get a smaller file size depending on of course what bitrate you use for the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the information.

The only difference I see is the sound is low compare to DTS. Actually this is a DTS file (DTS sonic landscape.vob) I downloaded from the web and unfortunately my DVD player supports only DD AC3. There is no option to select bitrate in dtsac3 tool. Just copy and click on bat file it converts to AC 3.
    shanthaprasad
    Quote Quote