VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to display photos on a screen hung on the wall in a living room. I am having trouble ascertaining which will provide the best quality picture. I am considering an Apple 30" Cinema Screen (hooked up to a computer) or the equivalent LCD HDTV (hooked up to either a DVD player or a Rokcoo (sp) special purpose box that displays media).

I know the Apple is top of the line in terms of computer monitor resolution, but overall, which is the better technology for my purposes?

Thanks

Jack Siegel
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have to compare each piece seperately. For a screen you will comparing color reproduction and resolution. You then need a source (pc or dvd player). The pc will output the source material in the screens resolution for best quality. SD DVD players only output 480p with a resolution of 720x480.

So you can go with a smaller lower resolution screen and a dvd player or the larger higher resolution screen and a pc.

They also have digital picture frames specifically for this purpose.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

I've looked at the picture frames, but I want about 30 to 32 inches. I haven't found any in that range.

Just to clarify. You seem to be saying that the something like the Apple Cinema screen (30 inch) will give me a better look than an LCD TV. The reason I asked this question is because the Cinema has higher resolution, but the LCD HDTVs seem to have better contrast and brightenss numbers. I can't figure out which is more important to the viewing experience.

Jack Siegel
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are LCD TVs available in resolutions which are close to the Apple Cinema. Many of them can be driven from a computer so they can display use all of the pixels.

The resolution of your source material is critical in making the decision. If the source does not have adequate resolution, you will not benefit from extra pixels in your screen.

The brightest and contrast values are highly important when comparing the screens. You could tune your photos to the best appearance on whatever display you choose but that would be a pain in the butt.

I would not have source images of the maximum Apple resolution so it would offer me no value.
    Quote Quote