VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to convert a 10 episode japanese drama which was not playable on my standalone DVD player (philips 5982), it says GMC not supported. I searched the problem and found out that I should re-encode with AutoGK. I'm not sure if i'm doing anything wrong but this is taking ridiculously LONG.
    My computer is not the fastest but it aint that slow... I forgot the specs, sorry, but its Intel Core 2 duo. I started the program, it he total time estimated was 26 minutes, then after that was done, the whole thing started again, an i woul have another window again (virtualdub) and another 30 minutes or so was required, i waited patiently, then the window close, ANOTHER virtual dub window opened and it has anoher total time estimated for 33 minutes, wtf??

Can someone give me an average of how long it takes to re-encode an hour long avi file? I have 10 of these an I"m not sure if this is worth my time.... Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On my system, it takes around real time for single pass. You could also try AviRecomp to see if things are quicker.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    On my system, it takes around real time for single pass. You could also try AviRecomp to see if things are quicker.

/Mats
    I'm starting to wonder if i setup incorrectly? How do ou select single pass? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. On my Core 2 Duo E6300, slightly overclocked, VirtualDub in Fast Recompress mode, with Divx in single pass constant quality mode (quantizer=3), with Divx's enhanced multithreading turned on, can encode several times faster than realtime. I just re-encoded a 43 minute, 624x352, 25 fps divx file in 7 minutes and 23 seconds.

In VirtualDub:

1) File -> Open Video File
    2) Video -> Fast Recompress
    3) Video -> Compresssion, select Divx, configure for 1-pass quality based, quantizer=3, Encoding mode Balanced, Enhanced Multithreading enabled.
    4) Files -> Save as AVI.

This is so simple there's no reason to bother with a front end like AutoGK. If you're encoding several files the same way you don't even have to configure Divx each time. It remembers its settings from the last time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    On my Core 2 Duo E6300, slightly overclocked, VirtualDub in Fast Recompress mode, with Divx in single pass constant quality mode (quantizer=3), with Divx's enhanced multithreading turned on, can encode several times faster than realtime. I just re-encoded a 43 minute, 624x352, 25 fps divx file in 7 minutes and 23 seconds.

In VirtualDub:

3) Video -> Compresssion, select Divx, configure for 1-pass quality based, quantizer=3, Encoding mode Balanced, Enhanced Multithreading enabled.
    4) Files -> Save as AVI.

This is so simple there's no reason to bother with a front end like AutoGK. If you're encoding several files the same way you don't even have to configure Divx each time. It remembers its settings from the last time.
    Thank you!! All i needed was to get rid of the GMC, i'll try that. For some reason, when I use AutoGK, it automatically launches virtualdub, but i can't fnd it from my C: program files... weird, do i ahve to redownload?
    Quote Quote  
  6. VirtualDub (and the derivatives VirtualDubMod and VirtualDubMPEG2) are very useful tools. Well worth downloading and learning if you're creating AVI files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. For some reason, when I use AutoGK, it automatically launches virtualdub, but i can't fnd it from my C: program files... weird, do i ahve to redownload?
    It's VirtualDubMod, and look in your AutoGK folder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    On my Core 2 Duo E6300, slightly overclocked, VirtualDub in Fast Recompress mode, with Divx in single pass constant quality mode (quantizer=3), with Divx's enhanced multithreading turned on, can encode several times faster than realtime. I just re-encoded a 43 minute, 624x352, 25 fps divx file in 7 minutes and 23 seconds.

In VirtualDub:

4) Files -> Save as AVI.

You saved so much of my time!! It works!! Although not 8 minutes, bu only takes about 18 min for an hr episode now. Thank you!
    Quote Quote