VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What does this mean?

My brother-in-law sent me two DVD's of the family get-together.

One was burned on a +RW and it played OK.

The other was burned on a +R but did not play. When I put it in the DVD player a message came on the screen:

Playback prohibited by area limitations

I put that disk in the PC and DVD Shrink read it in without any problems so I had Shrink re-burn it back out on a -R DVD. When I put my copy of the DVD in the DVD player it had the same message. I tried the disk on three different DVD player/recorders but still the same message.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It could be one of two things. One of the discs may be PAL and the other NTSC and your dvd player can only play one. A computer wouldn't normally have that limitation.

The other is that there is a region code on the disc that does not match the player. In this case I don't think that's your problem because these were home movies.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know that it is not PAL. Both discs are NTSC. There is no way my brother-in-law could have made a PAL. He told me that they were both burned from the same machine and using the same parameters.

I also know that it is not the region code.

Is there something about a +R that differs from a -R? Seems I read that the +R has some additional things that need to be done that you dont have to do on a -R disc.
    Quote Quote