VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

So I followed the tutorial to rip particular chapters/titles using IFOEdit to get the info I needed and Smartripper to rip the actual VOBs I wanted. Using VLC, I can play the ripped VOBs just fine. I then opened the VOB with VobEdit06 and selected all the checkboxes in the second part of the "Demux" dialogue box, i.e. Demux all video streams, Demux all Audio streams and Demux all Subp streams (even though I didn't have any of these). I didn't select "split on new VOB-ID" (because I am only doing a single VOB at a time.) Anyway, once that completed, I got an M2V and an AC3 file in my "demux" file folder. The AC3 files playback just fine in the latest VLC player, but the M2V files do NOTHING. Nada. Zilch. Is there some magic step I am missing or some checkbox I hit that I shouldn't have hit? Do I need to specify something specific in the "Save as" dialogue box? It defaulted to "Audio files .AC3" and I selected the "All files" which changed the dot extension to something like .XXX. LIke I said, it generated an AC3 and an M2V file, but I have no love on the M2V even though it appears to be a nice big size like I would expect. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help,
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tried played with something else like mpc?

You could also try demux with pgcdemux instead of vobedit.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, hadn't tried MPC yet. I assumed that if VLC didn't play it, nothing would since that seems to be a fairly robust player.... at least in my use of it at work. Is there a tool that can check to see if the demuxed M2V file is actually legit? Also, I could post the log of what VLC is telling me in terms of WHY it won't display the M2V, if that would help. I'll do that when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just do as Baldrick suggested and demux using PGCDemux. Or, since there are no subs, use DGIndex and File->Save Project and Demux Video (which will give you the M2V and AC3). I don't know what tutorial you're using, but none of the tools you mentioned (except for VLC) is the preferred way to do what you want any more.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No worries. I'll do as directed. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yikes, what a mess. Ok, so I tried using PGCDemux and clearly I'm missing something. I couldn't find a basic guide on using the tool, and unlike VOBEdit, which took an actual VOB instead of an IFO file as input, PGCDemux is just screwing everything up. Single titles/chapters are being split across multiple files, even though the VOB's are quite simple and short in nature. What am I missing here? I tried demuxing using all 3 different "modes" and none of them just simply gave me a single M2V and AC3 file out of the simple VOB. Is there something special that needs to have been checked in SmartRipper such that the IFO file is compatible with PGCDemux?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  7. Single titles/chapters are being split across multiple files, even though the VOB's are quite simple and short in nature.
    I don't know what that means. You can split by PGCs, VobIDs, or Cells (chapters). Sounds pretty simple to me. But since you said that maybe there's something wrong with the DVD, since you can't play the M2V in VLC, that might explain it. The next suggestion (made before) is to open the VOB(s) in DGIndex and File->Save Project and Demux Video. That'll give you an M2V and AC3 (if that's what the audio is). If you need to, you can use the [ and ] buttons to isolate and extract as much or as little of the video as you like.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All's well. DGIndex worked like a charm whereas the others were steaming piles of doo doo for me. Thanks a bunch for the various pointers to the tools to get the job done.

Regs,
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  9. Guest34343
    Originally Posted by Iceblade
    DGIndex worked like a charm whereas the others were steaming piles of doo doo for me.
    You're my hero, dude.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Say thank you to the nice man, Iceblade, for developing such a fine tool for you to use.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did neuron develop this? Well, whoever did, many thanks for your hard work and ease of use!

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Regards,
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  12. Did neuron develop this?
    Yes, and many other fine tools and filters which make our work as amateur video encoding enthusiasts much better and easier. If you go to his site you'll find listed the tools he's developed:

http://neuron2.net/

You'll also discover that his site hosts tools and filters developed by others.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very cool. Many thanks, once again!

Regs,
    Jeff
    Quote Quote