VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I just installed XP from scratch and applied all patches as well as WMP 11 and it's patches.

Then I installed klite full and chose the default option.

Now I can play just about all video on Windows Media Player but whenever I try to open any video in MPC I get an error that it cannot render the file.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled klite several times but the problem persists.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try videolan player (vlc). It also has internal codecs. That should be similar to mpc.

However you probably might be better off reinstalling xp again and NOT INSTALL the codec pack from the beginning. Leave only the codecs you need on it. Or better yet like you tried use only media player classic or vlc to play the files.

A clean system is a happy system
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I will rebuild it, it's messed up already. I think the windows patches are crap and they make some apps crash. I think SP2 is as far as I'll go this time.

>> Leave only the codecs you need on it.<< what do you mean?

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    he means use gspot to identify the codec(s) you need to play each file, and only inst all that/those codec(s) then. Codec packs tend to install a whole heap of crap you will never need and can often cause more problems than they fix.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. Klite sucks. Try ffdshow instead.
    Quote Quote