VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right, I've just converted an AVI video to DVD using WinAVI Video Converter, then burned it to DVD with ConvertXtoDVD. I watched it and it was fine for most of the film, but near the end it froze for a few seconds, then went back to normal, then the audio was way out of sync with the video.

I've used ConvertXtoDVD for ages to convert and burn video files without a problem, but today I converted the video with WinAVI video converter due to it being faster. Is it the software or disk that is causing the problems? If it's the software, which software would you suggest? If the disks, which would you suggest?

Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    WinAVI has a fairly poor reputation around here. It is faster than ConvertX, but produces problematic discs at times. However, you mention the freezing and out of sync at the end of the disc. It's common with cheaper media for the outer edges of the discs to exhibit those sort of problems.

You can make your files a bit smaller and possibly avoid the issue. (Try reducing the size by 100 - 200MBs, depending where the problem starts.) Or try a better brand of DVD media.

I use Taiyo Yuden most times, but others seem to have good luck with some of the Verbatim discs and a few other manufacturers. For more media information, look to: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

You can also look up your present discs by the manufacturer code in 'DVD Media' to the left. The name on the label may not tell you who really made the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Tesco brand disks. Every software I used before ConvertXtoDVD caused the video to crash, but I've never had a problem with ConvertXtoDVD, leading me to believe it's the software and not the disk.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tesco is manufactured by up to seven different companies, depending on the versions, so that's not a particularly good sign. You can check your specific manufacturer in 'DVD Media' by reading the manufacturer code. <<<<<<

The problem with some media is that the quality control may be lacking. Some discs may be fine, and other not. This can vary by box or even within a box. I'm not saying that's your problem, but media can cause more failed burns than software or hardware.

I'm not sure what you mean by you used WinAVI to convert and ConvertX to burn as they are both converters.

I normally use ImgBurn to burn as that's what it was made to do. For WinAVI, if it doesn't do a proper job, then it doesn't matter much if it's faster.
    Quote Quote