VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My TV can only do 1080 interlaced -- no 1080p.
    I just got a PS3.
    It will only do 1080p via HDMI (which doesn't matter, as my TV won't do 108p!).

BUT, my TV does have an HDMI input.
    I have the PS3 connected via component cables currently.
    Will there really be any difference if I connect the PS3 with an HDMI instead?

I currently have my PC connected to the only HDMI port on the TV, so if I wanted to connect the PS3 with HDMI I'd need to get a switcher.

So as I said, will there really be any difference if I connect the PS3 with an HDMI instead of the component cables?
    If so, how so?

TIA!!
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    My TV can only do 1080 interlaced -- no 1080p.
    I just got a PS3.
    It will only do 1080p via HDMI (which doesn't matter, as my TV won't do 108p!).

I have the PS3 connected via component cables currently.
    Will there really be any difference if I connect the PS3 with an HDMI instead?

I currently have my PC connected to the only HDMI port on the TV, so if I wanted to connect the PS3 with HDMI I'd need to get a switcher.

So as I said, will there really be any difference if I connect the PS3 with an HDMI instead of the component cables?
    If so, how so?

TIA!!
    It all depends.

Are you certain the PS3 only does 1080p over HDMI? I think it outputs 1080i as well.
    Are you using the PS3 as your DVD player? For Blu-Ray?
    What is your TV? What native resolution?

720p may be a better choice for a game or progressive DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't make myself clear.
    PS3 does 1081i as well as 1080p, but 1080p is only available via the HDMI port.

I already have a progressive scan DVD player, so the PS3 is for gaming and BluRay only.

The TV is a Sony CRT KV-36HS420. Supports 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i. http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=KV36hs420
    I have no idea what it's native resolution is.

The PS3 outputs 480i/p, 720p, and 1081i via component.
    The PS3 outputs 480i/p, 720p, and 1081i/p via HDMI.

All squares are rectangles, all rectangles are not squares...
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't make myself clear.
    PS3 does 1081i as well as 1080p, but 1080p is only available via the HDMI port.

I already have a progressive scan DVD player, so the PS3 is for gaming and BluRay only.

The TV is a Sony CRT KV-36HS420. Supports 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i. http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=KV36hs420
    I have no idea what it's native resolution is.

The PS3 outputs 480i/p, 720p, and 1081i via component.
    The PS3 outputs 480i/p, 720p, and 1081i/p via HDMI.

All squares are rectangles, all rectangles are not squares...
    OK that TV has limited upper resolution (limited by the CRT) so you are unlikeky to see a difference between 720p and 1080p even it you could get it on HDMI.

Same goes for the computer. In that case 720p should look better than 1080i because the computer is basically progressive.

Does your computer have 720p analog component out as an option? If so try that for the computer and see it works OK. If so plug the PS3 in HDMI and use 720p for games and 1080i or 720p for Blu-Ray.

Normally the HDMI port gets used for the HD TV source.

Anyway for HDMI or analog component

Games: 720p
    TV: 1080i
    Blu-Ray: 1080i
    Computer: 720p

Your TV has about equal resolution for 720p vs 1080i. The issue is interlace vs. progressive.

HDMI vs. analog component is more of a source issue. An external HDTV box has first claim on the HDMI port. The PS3 is the next logical candidate so long as the computer can do analog component 720p out.

See what looks better to you.

PS: When Blu-Ray starts implementing HDCP, the HDMI port is required to watch new Blu-Ray discs in high resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try different settings. My 34" Panasonic CRT prefers 1080i - it looks crisper than 720p - but the difference is not dramatic and may depend on the source program. I've got a DVD player going in the HDMI, with an HD cable box and PS3 each into component jacks. They all look good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There likely wouldn't be much if any noticable difference. If you have the cable, you can try connecting it just to see for yourself. Otherwise, I don't believe it is worth worrying about.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    I have the PS3 connected via component cables currently. Will there really be any difference if I connect the PS3 with an HDMI instead?
    Probably not. Direct view tube CRT HDTV's don't seem to benefit much from digital video (DVI, HDMI) connections vs. analog component video (or up-conversion DVD players, for that matter). This has been discussed many times here and in other forums. Fixed pixel displays (LCD, DLP, plasma, LCoS, etc.) generally do, however.

Certainly it is worth a $4 Monoprice.com HDMI cable to check it out, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    I have the PS3 connected via component cables currently. Will there really be any difference if I connect the PS3 with an HDMI instead?
    Probably not. Direct view tube CRT HDTV's don't seem to benefit much from digital video (DVI, HDMI) connections vs. analog component video (or up-conversion DVD players, for that matter). This has been discussed many times here and in other forums. Fixed pixel displays (LCD, DLP, plasma, LCoS, etc.) generally do, however.

Certainly it is worth a $4 Monoprice.com HDMI cable to check it out, though.
    I'd be interested to hear if Xylob the Destroyer sees any difference playing a Blu Ray disc over analog or HDMI on that set. The difference will be small if any.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    meh, I'm not gonna bother....
    I could never get the ATI dongle for component video to work, so I'll stick with the DVI-HDMI cable for the PC.
    On top of the price of an HDMI cable (even if it just a $4 from monoprice), I'd still have to dish out $$$ for an HDMI switch in order to connect the PS3 and keep the PC connected.
    It doesn't sound like the investment will be worth the end result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed, but that ATI card should work for component out.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, that's what the owner's manual says, as well as the ATI site, and the instruction manual for the dongle.
    Tried several different versions of the drivers (of course including the latest & greatest!) and it just plain don't freakin' work...

Plug in a DVI-to-HDMI (which technically shouldn't work with this card/TV combination) and it works like a charm!
    Go figure...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    My HDTV is a few years old and does not have an HDMI interface. It's specs say that it supports 720p and 1080i. I currently only have a DVD player, but recently have been considering upgrading to blueray. Is that worthwhile (will I have better video quality than DVD) if I have to connect my Blueray player to the TV via Component Video cables ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by ctzny View Post
    My HDTV is a few years old and does not have an HDMI interface. It's specs say that it supports 720p and 1080i. I currently only have a DVD player, but recently have been considering upgrading to blueray. Is that worthwhile (will I have better video quality than DVD) if I have to connect my Blueray player to the TV via Component Video cables ?

Thanks

It's frowned upon here to post to an old thread, in the future you should start a new one.

To answer your question: Yes, Blu-ray will look better than DVD but remember that DVD is limited to 480p on component.
    Quote Quote