VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HP m7760n multimedia pc - has tons of front inputs for rca, firewire, s video etc, I put a vcr into the front rca inputs to capture a few vhs to the computer to burn to dvd.

The computer has Vista Premium with media center and I tried media center but couldn't find any options to switch the input from the cable coax (which is plugged in and getting cable currently) but couldn't find a way to switch it over to input the front rca jacks in the settings.

Then I went thru the HP programs on here and found one called MUVEE tried it too then went to capture settings etc, still no go, can't figure out how to "enable" or "switch" the capture input to recieve the signal from the vhs player thru the front rca inputs.

I also tried windows movie maker, again same issue, can't seem to figure out how to make the program recognize the video input from the vcr via the rca jacks etc.

I don't have svideo out on this vhs player or I would try that..

Just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong here is it the analog signal (not being recognized) or is it a software thing (do I need to buy some special program that accepts analog signals to convert?) Funky that the pc has front rca inputs yet I can't get a vcr to be "recognized" or input signal from (just seems a bit deceiving).

Just trying to sort out why the jacks are on the computer here if the 3 programs on the system (media center, windows movie maker and muvee) don't accept a vhs analog input feed? OR am I just not doing something right or missing something simple?

I don't have a nice new cool digital camcorder or I would just record the video into that then attempt to use the firewire input on the front of the pc here, just frustrating it has rca inputs yet I can't seem to make them work. All the vhs I have are from my mom and dads old bulky vhs recorder when we were kids and their wedding etc so I would like to get them into the pc and save them etc.

I looked in my system info and found the info for capture device, it says
    Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC Combo - guessing that is connected to all the inputs on front not only the back coax input?

Knowing my system, the inputs, what I am trying to do here and what I have tried along with the programs I currently have on the system, what are my options here to get this accomplished?

Thanks for any help on this, just want to get the stack of vhs out of the closet, converted to dvd.

I do NOT have a problem spending some money on a program if it will work for this application and let me use these front rca inputs to capture and save this vhs video to the computer to burn on dvd, just not making sense to me that the jacks are here yet I can't get them to work...

Bill
    HP m7760n, Vista Premium w/ media center, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz, 2 Gig Ram DDR2, Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT, 2- 250 GB wd 7200 rpm, Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC.

Not the fastest but gets me online :)
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've got an HP Media Center PC m7674n.
    I've never figured out how to easy switch the inputs for the Media Center recording. Since I have other ways of converting (i.e. DVD Recorder) I haven't tried that hard.

But for Windows Movie Maker try this
    1. From Movie Tasks select "Capture from Video Device"
    2. A Video Capture Wizard box should come up.
    3. There should be a "video input source" drop down box that should include all your video inputs, including your front S-Video input.

The problem with using Windows Movie Maker however is that it only captures in Windows Media Video codec, so you will need a further step to convert that to mpeg2 and then compile as a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Under FILE in my windows movie maker it says "import from digital video camera" (with no options of other sources).

I am running windows movie maker version 6.0 build 6000 if that helps.

But I don't see any option type menu to change the input source.

WHen I click the File / "inport from digital video camera" I get a message saying no digital camera was detected.

Is the "movie tasks" section a seperate area or something I am not seeing?
    HP m7760n, Vista Premium w/ media center, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz, 2 Gig Ram DDR2, Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT, 2- 250 GB wd 7200 rpm, Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC.

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reading movie maker help files (searched for analog) I found this

Video cannot be imported from an analog video camera or VCR when using Import Video or Windows Movie Maker. To import video from an analog video camera or VCR, you need to have an analog video capture device installed on your computer, and then use software that enables you to import video from an analog capture device.

I do have that
    Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC Combo
    device on the pc here, would that meet the hardware end needs?

If so I guess I just need to match it with software that will capture analog signal thru the front inputs if possible even, just funny the pc has front rca inputs so a guy like me sees that and "assumes" you can plug a vcr into it and import video (afterall its a multimedia pc toted as an easy way to transfer your movies to dvd), yet I guess the only "easy" way is thru a digital input, still why would they have rca inputs on the front like this and how would I even get the computer to switch inputs?

Sent an email to HP support not sure if they will reply or not, but at this point I am a bit frustrated from reading and trying everything I can think of here.

Bill

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reply i got from HP was

I gather from your email that you own HP Pavilion m7760n desktop PC.

I understand from your email that you would like to transfer the video data from VHS to the DVDs.

I realize the importance of this matter and looking forward to provide you with the appropriate information.

Bill, I am providing you the web link where all the steps are listed to Capture Analog Videotapes. Go through the web link below and perform the steps listed in it to capture the video from the camcorder

https://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/FromAnalogCamerat...tepByStep.aspx

Main problem I see is they refer me to a how to page using movie maker 2 and when I click that program link it takes me to a description page that shows it as an xp program (not vista like I am using)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/default.mspx

I searched for movie maker 2 vista but got no result on the ms page.

When I click in my movie maker (ver 6 build 6000) in vista here i dont see an option like they decribe of choose capture device etc. It just says import from digital device and in the help files says analog source can't be imported.

ughh

Quote Quote  
  6. My system is XP and my movie make is 5.1.
    Do you have a "capture video" option under File?
    If not then it seems like movie maker is not recognizing your capture card.
    (If you have a digital camcorder you can plug it in and movie maker should recognize it and give you the capture option.)
    Was your card prebundled or did you add it?
    It sound like Windows Media Center is recognizing the card because that works.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by David K
    My system is XP and my movie make is 5.1.
    Do you have a "capture video" option under File?
    If not then it seems like movie maker is not recognizing your capture card.
    (If you have a digital camcorder you can plug it in and movie maker should recognize it and give you the capture option.)
    Was your card prebundled or did you add it?
    It sound like Windows Media Center is recognizing the card because that works.
    No capture video under file menu, just that "import video from digital camera" as an option I can choose.

Wish I had a dv camcorder, it would probably help, might ask around to see if I can borrow one just to even try it, but was hoping the rca inputs would work on the front of the box here...

The card was in the system put in by HP, not added by me or anything, I did try to update the drivers for it last date was 4 of 2007 but it said newest drivers are already installed.

Funny how media center finds and allows the coax signal thru it yet I can't seem to switch input sources in media center (at least that I can find anywhere I cant change the source input).

Quote Quote