VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was on vacation and was using my Sony DSC M1 camera, which was showing low battery, but this is usually not a problem, just use it sparingly and you can often squeeze a few extra pictures and some short video clips from it.

Except this time, and as luck would have it, they are pictures and video of my youngest 2 girls catching their first fish. I took a few stills and they showed fine on the cameras lcd, and also a few short clips. However when I went to view them later on the camera after I got back to civilization and recharged it none of the cameras pictures or video would show up. The files were there with what looked like the proper file sizes so I downloaded them to my laptop. One jpeg shows up on a preview screen when showing thumbnails but will not load. The others dont show anything, same with the mp4 files, even though the files are there and the sizes look ok.

I am assuming that some header information is missing or something like that. At the least I'd like to recover the jpegs, I thought they would be easier but everything I've tried has yielded no results. The mp4 files I would really like to get, as your kids first fish is a special moment. This one especially because my 7 yr old hooked a 2lb trout, which is a monster in this particular creek, and was hanging on to the rod for dear life fighting the fish and the current while I was catching it on video.

So, anyone know of good utilities that may recover all or some of these files? Or a place that will do it for me? These are special enough to me I'll pay someone to do it if there is no utility out there that will do it. I recall reading some time back about an mp4 utility that would at least let me get the video out of the files, which is better than nothing, but I can't find any info on it.

thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried reading the memory card from another device? Chances are the files are corrupt on the media and likely unsalvageable.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote