VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to burn quite a few avi files onto a DVD (to be played on a standard dvd player). I essentially want no reduction in quality from the avis compared to dvd playback using the optimum amount of space required. I was just wondering if ConvertXtoDVD analyses the avi files to calculate the optimal mpeg bitrate that does this for you? If not are there any other easy to use dvd authoring tools that do this?

Sorry if this is a very noob question, searched for ages on google but couldnt find what I needed!

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A 'average' Xvid off the net would be a 700-800MB video file. Converted to MPEG-2 with ConvertX, it will probably end up at 1.5 - 2.5GB, depending on it's running time. (That was with my older version of ConvertX. The newer versions may fill the disc.) You could use higher bitrates, which would make it as large as the DVD-5 capacity, 4.37GB, but it won't likely look any better.

You are really limited by the quality of the Xvid. If it was converted from a DVD source, much of the quality has already been lost.

Short answer, Yes. Most of the time. This is all with the default settings of ConvertX. You can also adjust the 'quality' of the conversion, which may help.

If you want possibly better quality, try a stand alone MPEG encoder and audio encoder. HC is freeware and does quite well for a MPEG encoder. But be prepared to do some work. It takes several tools and a fair understanding of the process to even duplicate what ConvertX is doing. Especially with PAL to NTSC framerate conversions thrown in. And considering the quality of most net Xvids, you may not see a bit of difference.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I view my DVDs on an analog CRT television. The DVDs burned with ConvertX look better on it, in my opinion, than the avi's look on my computer. The only setting I have changed is to output NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The DVDs burned with ConvertX look better on it, in my opinion, than the avi's look on my computer.
    In fact most of time any good AVI looks better on CRT TV than on a PC monitor. If you don't agree with this consider visiting your eye doctor.
    Quote Quote