VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to burn an recordable DVD using Nero 7.
    My DVD is not being recognized by the software. If I put in the CD, it recognizes it fine, but obviously the CD has enough space.
    Is this a known issue? I bought DVD+R long ago in Best Buy, and burned movies from other DVDs on it before.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it just this particular disc or the whole brand?

Is it the same brand as the other DVD+R's you bought? In my experience, my DVD burner works with every DVD+R I've tried except Memorex brand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Media brand/type aside, is the iso a cd or dvd image? You can't burn a cd iso image onto dvd...at least not with Nero. Nero also won't let you burn a DVD+R image onto a DVD-R.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Media brand/type aside, is the iso a cd or dvd image? You can't burn a cd iso image onto dvd...at least not with Nero. Nero also won't let you burn a DVD+R image onto a DVD-R.
    WTF are you talking about

Never heard such a thing

Sorry... i'm hoping that's a typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    WTF are you talking about

Never heard such a thing

Sorry... i'm hoping that's a typo
    Actaully, more accurately, that should read copy...not burn.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM

I'm still lost as to what you are trying to say.... but either way, it is wrong 8)
    What does +R or -R have anything to do with copying a dvd or burning a dvd ?

It kind of looks like you are saying you cant copy or burn a +R image to -R disc ??
    There is no such thing as a +R image or -R image, once it's ripped to your HDD it's just an image, the files that were on the original disc.

And as far as nero goes, i've copied from - to + and vice versa many times.....

anyway's.. i'm still unlcear as to what you are actually saying because it really make no sense.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I remember correctly the maximum capacity of a DVD-R and DVD+R vary slightly.

DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL and DVD-R/DVD-RW exact sizes
    DVD-R/DVD-RW = 4 706 074 624 bytes ( 4488 MB )
    DVD+R/DVD+RW = 4 700 372 992 bytes ( 4482 MB )

It is quite possible to have an ISO on a DVD-R which is too big for a DVD+R.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    oldandintheway, that's very correct, but I don't think that's what the OP or KrispyKritter was saying...

OP said "DVD-R(or +R) isn't recognized by Nero, yet CD-R is". This sounds like either a media problem, or the burner in question is old enough to be only single recordable format (+ or -, but not both) and we've got a burner/disc mismatch.

KK said "Nero won't let you burn +R image onto -R", which in my experience isn't true either. As noahtuck says, there is just the user data (2048bytewise) portion of a recordable saved into an ISO. The additional lead-in sectors that have field info about it being +R or -R isn't included on ISOs. For all Nero knows, a 2048-bytewise ISO image could be:
    1. MODE1 CDROM
    2. MODE2, FORM1 CDROM
    3. MODE2, FORM1 CDROM-XA
    4. DVDMODE

and could have come from:
    A. Pressed CD
    B. CD-R
    C. CD-RW
    D. Pressed DVD
    E. DVD-R
    F. DVD+R
    G. DVD-RW
    H. DVD+RW, or
    I. DVD-RAM

Now, Nero could be "presuming" by the ISO's inherent size, that it's either CD only or DVD only (and therefore won't burn onto the incorrect size), but that may be one of those times where a consumer-level app throws out the baby with the bathwater because it's trying to protect you from yourself. Could also be dependent upon whether you're using Nero Express vs. BurningROM.
    It can be fooled (I've done it before, but can't remember how).
    Easiest thing is to just use a better burning engine--one that's media agnostic.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, not that it's relevant to the Ops issue, but there was a post here (maybe 6 months ago...I can't find it at the moment) which outlined the whole +R/-R issue. From what I remember, the Op was trying to use Nero to copy a +R disc that a friend gave him onto a -R disc and Nero wouldn't do it. If he inserted a +R disc, it worked fine.

There was several members here involved in the troubleshooting. And I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but it stuck in my mind because it was weird.

Anyway...
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, he needs to post back with some more info. Disc to disc dvd copy won't work unless both are plus or both are minus. The file structure on the disc is different.

But, he could copy the data to a folder on his hd, and then burn it back to a different type of disc. As long as he makes sure it's udf-data format, then it should play fine on a tabletop.

The thread is here: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic322974.html

The poster wanted to direct copy a -RW to a +RW.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dnix71
    Disc to disc dvd copy won't work unless both are plus or both are minus. The file structure on the disc is different.
    HUH ?!?!?!

First off... i've done this MANY times!!!!!
    And as i type this right now, i am copying a dvd-r to dvd+r with nero, direct copy, no transfering anything to the HDD first..... and it's working fine. I've done it before with ImgBurn just to show that it could be done.

That BS they have to both be the same type (+/-) of disc is just that... BS!!!!

There has to be a diff. problem.....
    where people come up with this misinformation is amazing....
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I also have NO trouble at all either--and I've got a quite old version of Nero (v5.5).

Note: assuming you are using standard DVD-Video spec, your file structure is identical no matter what disc media type you're using--even DVD-RAM.
    It's only when you use a DVD-VR or DVD+VR spec material that might have some difficulty--and then the problem SHOULD be only in whether the reader drive has the smarts to divorce the Application-level structure for the normally concomitant Physical media type (where -R/-RW/-RAM goes with -VR and +R/+RW goes with +VR).

Just to check, I looked up that older thread and it's reference and --even though it seems to be a little dated (c. 2003/2004, incl. no "dual layer" info)-- it doesn't say ANYTHING about different "file structures". What little technical stuff it does say is correct as far as it goes.

My hunch is that, like the old 321 software used to do, Nero and the like are adding something like a "copy prohibit" flag which is followed upon using a like-minded media, but ignored when using a different media type?? (This can, of course, be easily defeated)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dnix71
    Yeah, he needs to post back with some more info. Disc to disc dvd copy won't work unless both are plus or both are minus. The file structure on the disc is different.
    Nope, fully wrong.

And BTW, there are DVD-R that can hold up to 4496mb of data, but they were only available in the days when 4x DVD-R was cool at the top.....
    Quote Quote