VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. there is an option to create HD DVD formatted disks using an existing DVD burner...the pack that allows you to do this is a $49.99 addon...

You Have Selected:
    Premium Features: HD Authoring Pack 1.0
    Price: $ 49.99
    Make High-Definition HD DVD format movie discs, complete with HD motion menus, that play on the Toshiba HD-A1, HD-XA1, and HD-D1 HD DVD players and display on your HD TV. Use the standard DVD burner you have today to
    burn HD DVD format discs straight to standard DVD media.

I have two questions:

1. is this any good? (assuming someone here has used it)..
    2. Will these disks work on xbox 360 addon??

TIA for any help on this...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They will only play back on HD DVD drives/players, and you can only fit between 20 - 40 minutes per disc depending on quality and bitrate. Don't know how forgiving the 360 is as a player.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is only useful if you are importing HD video, from either a camcorder or from a HD PVR or from a HD Tuner capture card. I own Pinnacle's software, and it has never completed a successful encode without halting with an error, and I have tried this on three different machines, including a newish Pentium D/Vista/3GB/Nvidia GT8500/ system. Still no go.

A good idea in theory, but the software is still buggy, although I have only tried HD sources from my Motorola PVR captured via firewire, it may be better with other, perhaps more standard HD material.

I would look instead at the new version of Nero 8, and see if the HD-DVD authoring includes the option to burn to a DVD-R. Ulead also has software that claims to be able to do this.

adcvideo
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by adcvideo
    This is only useful if you are importing HD video, from either a camcorder or from a HD PVR or from a HD Tuner capture card. I own Pinnacle's software, and it has never completed a successful encode without halting with an error, and I have tried this on three different machines, including a newish Pentium D/Vista/3GB/Nvidia GT8500/ system. Still no go.

A good idea in theory, but the software is still buggy, although I have only tried HD sources from my Motorola PVR captured via firewire, it may be better with other, perhaps more standard HD material.

I would look instead at the new version of Nero 8, and see if the HD-DVD authoring includes the option to burn to a DVD-R. Ulead also has software that claims to be able to do this.

adcvideo
    I have been using Studio since ver 8 and have not had any problems...I have a canon hv20 (that thing is awesome) and have no problems importing my footage in high def and then burning it to a DVD. It just sucks seeing the difference between the DVD and the minDVD footage so I really want to look into being able to burn an HD DVD...using my existing burner would make this decision a no-brainer...

Guess I will bite the bullet and pay the $50 to see if it works out for me.../crosses fingers now...
    Quote Quote