VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I'm completely new to hdtv reception in general. I recently got a HD projector, and was thinking of getting a USB HD tuner to try to get TV in my room. I have a few questions about whether it'll work at all:

1) my laptop (Pentium 1.7M, 1.25G RAM) only has Intel's integrated graphics card 855 chipset. I was looking at USB tuners and some require at least 64MB ram in the graphics card. Is this really necessary, or could I get by without? My card is currently running directx 9.0c.

2) Since they don't run cable up to the rooms in my dorm, and I can't put anything on a roof, could I get by with just an indoor antenna? I looked on Antennaweb, and there are around 12 digital channels all 6-8 miles away from me, mostly around the same compass direction. The dorm buildings are about the tallest buildings around, they go up to ~5 stories.

Also if anyone has used a USB tuner and has gotten good results, please share! Any suggestions would be really helpful, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your laptop isn't up to the task. Even if it was, a one hour program requires 9GB storage. Consider a set top box tuner and an indoor antenna.

At 6-8 miles you should get good reception.

The problem with your laptop is ability to handle a 14-19Mb/s continous stream for storage and the ability of the 855 chipset to decode 1080i on the fly. Also you would need to output over VGA so deinterlace would be required adding to the load and the projector would need to accept VGA.

You would be happier with a standalone tuner to feed your projector.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    From what you are saying, you should be able to make it work. Be aware that some of those HDTV indoor antennas are more 'hype' than performance. I've done better with old fashioned 'rabbit ears' most times.

You would want to situate your USB tuner and laptop fairly close to your antenna. Long cable runs can be a problem. And if your tuner also receives SD TV, that would be a bonus. If you can't get one clearly, the other may work.

No experience with USB/Laptop tuners, though.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow thanks for the quick replies!

I don't plan on recording tv, just watching it. But if my laptop can't handle HD maybe i'll get a tuner that can take in SD too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Select a tuner from this list.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095

An easy solution is the Samsung DTB-H260F $179.
    http://www.computers4sure.com/product.asp?productid=5421055&affid=10000483

Your laptop could record the SD downconversion from the SD S-Video connector. You'd need an SD capture device. Otherwise use a DVD recorder.

Read about the others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes i will agree. that laptop wont handle even watching HDTV my desktop which is not taht old chokes on some HD. i havec a HVR 1600. i have a AMD 64 @ 2.6ghz 1 gig dual channel ram aiw 8500 and haupa hvr 1600 cards i get flicker and lag with most HD if it doesnt flicker like with some 720P it renders my computer usless i cant even move the mouse to change channel hardly.
    Quote Quote