VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

I have made a direct copy of a DVD as an MPEG2 file. Sadly, the videostream is interlaced. You can even see the interlacing artifacts when playing the original DVD.
    Now, I want to re-encode the MPEG2 file to AVI, but would like to deinterlace it as well. And I would like to do this properly, so not just blend the fields together (because that makes any scrolling text unreadable).
    I'm using VirtualDub, what is an easy way to do this?

Thanks for any help,
    Alex.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try Donald Graft's Smart Deinterlace filter (edge directed interpolate mode) for VirtualDub.

Inverse Telecine is best if your source is telecined film. But it's more complicated.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.100fps.com/ has some different methods for that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo: I've just installed Donald Graft's filter. It looks great already. Now to tweak it to it's optimum! Thanks!
    Baldrick: I've check that site before, but it's a little overwhelming for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This thread came up in a search for a question I have so I'm reviving it.

I am in the same position as Smakkie - getting an MPEG-2 file from DvD, but instead of converting it to AVI, I wish to instead convert it to MPEG-2, but properly deinterlaced.

Any program does this? Will pay for it if I have to, and don't care if deinterlacing is all it does.

I could look into AVISynth, but to be honest, would prefer something easier.

However, if someone has a simple, short step-by-step method for AVISynth, I'd really a appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use a lot those days, this filter for the PAL captures:
    http://www.geocities.com/siwalters_uk/autodint.html

Sometimes this filter amazes me with the results. Other times, it does nothing. On all cases, this filter doesn't harm your source. So use it, and who knows: it might help you!
    Quote Quote