VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, could yo uplease move this to where it is suppose to be. Thank you.

I have Explorer 7.
    Windows XP Pro. SP2.

I use to be able to view everything online, but for a couple of months now and i dont know why, some video windows don't work. for example if i go on msn news, aol news and soap sites (to preview things) or something like that, to watch a clip of something... nothing hapens. i can hear everything but cant view anything. mainly a green window appears. (things like youtube and alluc DO work though)

system restore doesn't work.

I've just reset all the default settings in my explorer but still its the same.

would it have somthing to do with Java? when i go to tools >> options >> Advanced tab and scroll down i cant see java anywhere. but when I go to contol panel on my computer, and to add/remove programs, it says i have 'java(tm) se runtime environment 6 update 1' (134mb) ??

plz help me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Something must have happened to a video codec. That is what you use to watch videos. Are these flash videos? There must be something you need to update.

DON'T USE CODEC PACKS!!

Instead go to the website that you are having problems with and look for a faq that explains what type of video they use. When you find that out then check out our tools section for the proper download. Don't download more than what you actually need.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://video.uk.msn.com/v/en-gb/v.htm?g=&t=s73&f=34/64&p=&fg=

the ubove link for example. i see a green blank screen but can hear everything.

also, if u click on the bottom link and preview/watch any clips... u get the option of opening it with windows media player or realplayer... if i open it with WMP... again... i can hear everything but its just a green blank screen and if i open with realplayer... its a black blank screen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/episodes/
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It could be an overlay / hardware acceleration problem. Try turn off hardware acceleration in wmp 11 under tools->options->performance and unclick turn on directx video acceleration. Restart wmp and play the video again, do you see the video now?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx baldrick!!! that worked!!! although on the second link i cant open it with real player because of the same previous player i can view the first link and in WMP! thats brill!!! THANK YOU!

[[oh and there was no box to uncheck, i had to roll the 'thingie' all the way back (to the left]]
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, you drag the slider under performance in older versions of wmp. I just checked in wmp11 in windows vista and there was a box to uncheck there.

But hardware acceleration should work and usually gives better playback. Maybe try to (re)install new graphic drivers or check advanced display settings.
    Quote Quote