VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The Sony DVD player is very picky. It frequently displays Playback prohibited by area limitations though the other DVD has no problem to play a DVD movie. How to remove or disable the area limitations on the Sony DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Area limitations probably means the Region Code on the disc doesn't match the player. Look for DVD Hacks to the left but don't expect too much for a Sony.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony also frequently talks about area limitation in terms of PAL vs NTSC. While you might find a no region hack, you won't find one to allow PAL if it is an NTSC only player.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to copy the DVD disc so that the Sony DVD player can accept it regardless of the area limitation or PAL and NTSC? If so, what tools can solve both of the area limitation and PAL/NTSA problems on the Sony DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any DVD ripper/copier removes region code protection, so if the Sony complains about a ripped disc, it's a TV system (PAL/NTSC) problem.
    The PAL / NTSC issue can only be resolved by the tedious task of doing a PAL/NTSC conversion, something covered umpteen times before. Do a forum search.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, the original DVD label displays NTSC, All region and HDVD-9 However, a Sony DVP-NS57P DVD player still displays a message “Playback prohibited by area limitations,” even after I have already copied the movie with the DVD Shrink3.2 with a selection of empty region code. Does anyone know what problems look like?
    Quote Quote  
  7. From what I've seen the Sony players adhere stringently to DVD Specs.

That means a NTSC version of the player will not play a PAL disc.
    That also means a PAL version of the player will not play a NTSC disc.

It is understandable when you think about the fact that Sony also owns content production. Therefore their player will adhere to region settings and only the supported type of disc, NTSC or PAL.

OTOH I have no problems with the 400 disc changer, knock wood, as long as I only feed it NTSC DVDs and play the PAL DVDs in my cheapo Philips.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by coody
    Actually, the original DVD label displays NTSC, All region and HDVD-9 However, a Sony DVP-NS57P DVD player still displays a message “Playback prohibited by area limitations,” even after I have already copied the movie with the DVD Shrink3.2 with a selection of empty region code. Does anyone know what problems look like?
    Do a copy WITH your region code on the disc and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I've heard there are a few players out there that don't like 'no region' discs. The Sony player could well be one of them.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have selected the region 1 with the DVD Shrink 3.2 to copy an All Region DVD movie. The Sony DVD player still displayed the same “area limitations” message. It does not work by adding the region. Don’t know what causes the Sony DVD player in a bad temper.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your SONY player regidly adheres to ITS interpretation of the DVD specs.

If it is new - return it to the merchant who sold it to you.

If it is old - send it to its eternal reward and purchase a $30 commodity player. It will be far less finicky.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The NTSC Sony DVD player will never play a PAL disc and the other way around too. It doesn't matter what region. As soon as you try to play a PAL disc that “area limitations” message will appear.

Unless you convert the actual Mpeg data on the disc and re-author to the proper NTSC or PAL specs depending on where you are it won't play.

I have two Sony changers and that is the only weak spot in them. I keep a Philips 5982 and a 5960 for playing PAL
    or Divx/Xvid discs. Problem solved.

As oldandinthe way stated, The Sony will adhere rigidly to DVD specs simply because they are also a content producer. Such Adherence means that it will obey region coding and NTSC only in NTSC land for example.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting. One of my DVD disc is purchased in a foreign country and labeled All Region and NTSC but the Sony DVD still displays the “area limitation” message. The disc can be played in the other DVD player such as Philips, Memorex etc. I have tested to add region 1 by re-authoring it with the DVD Shrink 3.2. It does not work. I try to test it by converting it into the NTSC only. Does anyone know how to make or convert a DVD movie into the NTSC color system only? The Sony DVD player is DVP-NS57P. It features Precision Drive 3 and Multi-disc Resume. It proves very useful.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you just open one of the VOB's on the disc and check the framerate & resolution to make sure if it's PAL or NTSC.

Gspot, avicodec, dvddecrypter,

Commercial disc's usually do not advertise "all region" so don't be suprised if the ntsc marking is incorrect.

Sony players are notorious for displaying that message when trying to play a PAL disc in a NTSC machine, even when region free.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried playing the disc in question on another player? If you don't have another player yourself maybe have a friend try it in his/her player. The Sony DVP-NS57P is a current model so maybe you can find a store that will let you try the disc in one of their NS57's. Possibly the store that you purchased it from to begin with. If it plays all right then it probably means that your player is defective.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know how to make or convert a DVD movie into the NTSC color system only?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried entering "PAL to NTSC" in the "Search our site" function on the front page?

If not - Click Here
    /Mats
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know how to make or convert a DVD movie into the NTSC color system only?
    There are guides here on how to do it, but honestly, unless this is a one time thing that you will never do again, you'd be better off to just spend $50-60 and buy a Philips DVD player that can convert between PAL and NTSC instead of wasting a lot of time doing these conversions. But if your spare time is worthless to you and you're willing to give up many hours of work to do the conversions every time you need to just to save $50-60, then follow the guides. Do note that menus can't be converted between PAL and NTSC, so you'll lose menu functionality on your conversions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just go out and buy a cheapo player that converts on the fly....much easier on the brain cells.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Howdy fellas!

New guy warning!! ; - )

I have read through the thread and must say I'm impressed by the amount of help and assistance that is offered...it is good to see those who 'know', helping those of us who are trying to 'know'...

Anyways, if I may be so bold and add an additional question to the precedings without committing a faux pas, my question is this;

Is there a software/method to convert an .avi file to a DVD while simultaneously removing the RCE and making it region-free?

I have had the same problem as mentioned above regarding the ' Playback prohibited by area limitation ' with a copy of ' Red Cliff' by John Woo

which is an excellent and sweeping film about the huge battle that signaled the end of the Han Dynasty, but unfortunately contains something within the file that brings up the dreaded ' Playback prohibited by area limitations' prompt... at first I thought it had something to do with the PAL v. NTSC debate, but after utilizing some advice found on this thread and checking the video file, it is indeed coded at 25 fps {which is NTSC right?}
    So, my thought is that it has something to do with the RCE 'thingie'......any and all help in resolving, or even shedding some proper light on this would be greatly appreciated by this old soldier on a pension : - )

Thanks in advance once again and...

Semper Fi!!

USMC_Buckaroo
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by USMC_Buckaroo
    Is there a software/method to convert an .avi file to a DVD while simultaneously removing the RCE and making it region-free?

I have had the same problem as mentioned above regarding the ' Playback prohibited by area limitation ' with a copy of ' Red Cliff' by John Woo
    1. 99% of AVI files have no protection whatsoever.
    2. Playback prohibited by area limitation could mean two things. A region code on the disc that does NOT match your player OR it means your DVD's video format does not match yours (see NTSC and PAL video formats).
    Region Codes and Video Format are NOT the same.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Howdy hech54

My sincere gratitude for taking the time to offer a helping hand in this matter....it is appreciated.

In an effort to abide by the posting rules, I will say that my copy of Red Cliff is {I assume} a direct 'back up' from the original DVD, and hence, has encoded within it's files the original region code of that that DVD...but if the video file within states that it is indeed 25fps, would that not indicate that it is an NTSC format?

As to my DVD's "video format", how would one determine that? And, for the record, I have also tried this very same burned DVD on a Panasonic DVD player....

Again, thx in advance for your efforts.

Semper Fi!

USMC_Buckaroo
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I guess there is some one out there with a resolute lasting answer to the area limitation question. I have had a similar problem and I bring it down to some little fiddling with some of the little buttons without any of us realising. We have been using our sonny dvd/video player for a year, and some of the very same dvds have been played on the same machine. my little son had been fiddling with buttons thinking he was changing tvb channels on the sky box. Now the video player says that the dvds can notbe played due to area limitation. these are dvds we have played several times over and over. Can someone please point me to where and how I can reprogramme the machine toits old brains? Thanks for your patience.
    Quote Quote