VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey everyone,

I am new here and this is my first post.
    Also, please keep in mind that I'm new to DVD file structures.

I have a DVDr (of vacation footage) that I desperately need to capture to my computer (via Studio 11) so I can edit it. But the problem is it has a strange file structure. In the root folder are two folders; video_TS and video_RM. Its the video_RM thats throwing me off. I tried to convert it but after 2 days of wasted discs and hours on line I've not had any luck. I even decided to sacrifice a little on quality and do a analog DVD to DVDr copy. But to my dismay it had the same file structure. I have a Panasonic DMR-ES35V, I'm not sure what brand the DVD was made with. Is this something all dvdr's have in common? Does anyone have any recommendations on tools and methods for extracting the files from the video_RM folder into a video_TS folder to create a normal file structure or just converting to Mpeg or AVi?

Also, I've tried to capture with Studio 11, Moyea DVD Ripper and DVD Decrypter; both Studio and Moyea give an invalid file error and/or just freeze up, I can get 'Decrypter to save to file but when I burn to disc its still has the same structure.

Any help is appreciated , I have a very short time to get this done.

Thank you,
    Daniel
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The RM file is generated by the DVD recorder. Is the VIDEO_TS folder complete with the VOBs, IFOs and BUPs? If so, all you need to do is burn that to DVD media. ImgBurn in 'Build" mode can do that. Or do you want to edit it? You could use VOB2MPG to convert the VIDEO_TS folder to a single MPEG. No losses with that.

You might also look at the DVD structure and specifications to the upper left on this page under 'WHAT IS' DVD.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've had better success in RIPPING VIDEO RECORDER files using a RIPPER
    (Mac The Ripper, DVD Fab Decrypter) this eliminates the VIDEO RM files and deposits a standard DVD STRUCTURE on the harddrive
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both. I will try again and then get back with you.

Daniel
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    for a last ditch effort

copy the vob files ( the big ones ) to a folder on your HHD and then change the ext to mpeg

you can then load those file into your editor program
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Wizard check out VOBtoMPG
    Freeware by Chrissy Boy
    that takes VOB's and like a file transfer not a render, rewrites them as MPG
    If they have AC3 audio , it retains that in the MPG..this usually makes for IMPORT PROBLEMS down the line so you end up demuxing and converting the AC3 if you aren't using an AC3 aware dvd authoring apllication (DVD LAB PRO, TDA)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes i know about that program

I was suggesting another way to the OP , IF he ran into problems

one thing about changing the ext, it keeps your file seperate so you are not trying to load and edit 3 0r 4 gig mpg

you work on ONE segment at a time
    faster loading faster editing.

and do DVD recorders use ac3 audio when recording ?

i thought they use mp2 ?

my mistake
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some home recorders will even do LPCM, but the default is AC3 always if AVAILABLE.
    And while the first GENERATION sometimes lacked AC3 capability, its now standard.
    So if you set it to MP2 as theewizard points out can be done, no need for JUMP thru AC3 HOOPS after extracting the files
    Quote Quote