VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was recently sent a dvd in the mail and the audio on this dvd is only a mono left channel. I would like to split the audio from this dvd, duplicate the left channel to the right channel and then re-sync the audio to the dvd. Can anyone point me in the right direction in order to fix this dvd. Thanks so much.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any help.....please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The process is a PITA. Are you willing to re-author it to DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With a DVD, it's a little more complicated. My method is to first extract the video from the DVD. I use VOB2MPG for that most times. Then use a program to separate or 'demux' the audio from the video. Where you go from there depends on the audio format.

Most times I use VirtualDub Mod and save out the audio as a WAV audio file. Then take that audio file and put it into a audio editor. I use the freeware Audacity for that. Then just copy the one channel to a new channel. Then you should have the left and right channel. You can make some minor adjustments in one of the channels and make it sound somewhat different than the other channel to give more of a 'stereo' effect. Save out both channels as a WAV again and convert to AC3 with ffmpeggui or Aften. Reauthor the DVD and add the new audio along with the old video. Burn to DVD.

You may be able to do this with the DVD without as many steps as I usually take. Some other member may give you a better method.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was actually expecting to have to re author the dvd and go through an aggrivating process. Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone has any other suggestions that would be awesome as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Avidemux can prolly do it.

You might have to play around with the A/V sync. The easiest way to get an idea as to the skew is from the info on the audio track itself, after you've loaded the VOB in Avidemux. I chose the opposite to the amount of delay on the audio track.

Quote Quote