VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just been reading about aspect ratios buit I'm still a little confused.

I have an avi file which is 640 x 272.

My TV will display in 4:3, 16:9, panorama and 4:3 expanded.

My last attempt withg TMPGEnc I just left the defaults, didn't even think about it as I never had any problems before. I could expand the screen on the TV though.

I am faced with my 'clip properties' screen showing various options from pixel 1:1(square pixel), Pixel 10:11(NSTC 4:3) etc, to Display 4:3 etc. Is the supposed to reflect what I have in the avi file or what I want in my output?

Also, how do I decide what I want? If my TV will change it anyway .....?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The image is 2.35:1. Your best bet is to encode it as 16:9 with small black borders. I know this can be done in Tmpgenc, however I don't use it so I can't give you exact settings. Personally, I would either use FAVC for the whole process (faster than Tmgpenc) or use FitCD to create an avisynth script, and use that to encode.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In TMPGEnc Plus, on the Setting -> Advanced tab, set the Source Aspect ratio to "1:1 VGA", then set the Video Arrange Method to "Full Screen (keep aspect ratio)".

If you want letterboxed 4:3 output, on the Setting -> Video tab, set Aspect Ratio to "4:3 Display". For 16:9 anamorphic set it to "16:9 Display".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that. Not sure I'm really with it yet but will have a go as soon as I get back from my hols.
    Quote Quote